News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Problem truing stone to Planer jig

Started by fossa, November 11, 2009, 11:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fossa

Hello all

I'm having a problem truing the stone to the planer knive jig.  Even though its true to the tool rest, when the planer jig is on it isn't true to it.  I bought my tormek around 2004 and it has seen little use.  I'm still on the first wheel and only have trued the stone 2 times.  I found a post in the planer section about a batch of planer jigs that weren't square.  How do I go about checking this or what am I doing wrong.  Any help is appreciated.

Jeff Farris

The first thing I do when I'm going to do planer blades is true the grindstone.  Always.  If you haven't done that, there's most likely the issue.
Jeff Farris

fossa

That's what I did.  The stone is true to the tool rest but not to the planer jig.  The planer jig is so far out of square you physically can't even force it enough into square.

Jeff Farris

Okay,  I follow you. 

Have you ever used the planer blade attachment before? 
Jeff Farris

fossa

I am admittedly new to the planer jig, but when you can see light from under the jig about 1/2 across the stone where the planer jig rest on it, I don't buy that that is correct.   I'll have some time tonight, I'll re-true the wheel and see what I can do, and get back with you tomorrow.

Jeff Farris

What I wanted to check was whether the SVH-320 had ever been mounted successfully, I wasn't questioning your ability to read and follow directions.  It sounds like your jig is from the batch mentioned previously that was out of square. Please call 1-800-586-7635 to make arrangements to have a new jig sent to you.
Jeff Farris

fossa

Jeff thanks for taking care of this.  It's good to know there are a few companies left that still stand behind their products.

ionut

Hi,

Not sure if the information below will help but you can try it.
First I would use a try square to check the jig and if is out of square I guess you should change it even before trying to put it on the machine.
I have 2 machines a T7 and a green one which was a 2006 or 2000 not very sure but beside the color difference I didn't notice any change between them, maybe the quality of the steel and both behave identically from the point of view of the squareness. The universal support posts have just a slight play when mounted and when the thumb screws are not tighten, If it would be no play it would be pretty hard to mount it so this play translates on the horizontal bar of the support into up to probably 2-3 degrees in the effective sharpening area. This means that if I am not consistent in setting the jig between truing and sharpening I will end always with a not square edge. Try truing the stone again taking as small as possible but before tightening the universal support make sure you apply pressure on the side that would compensate with your planner jig. SHV320 has thinner posts to allow for more angle compensation.

Ionut