News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ACC questions

Started by Ken S, July 24, 2024, 11:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We often see ACC (Tormek Anti Corrosion Concentrate) described as "expensive". Sometimes this is even listed as a con in pro and con descriptions of diamond wheels.ñ What I have not seen is "expensive" explained in actual usage costs. Nor have I seen the full benefits of ACC included in these criticisms.

Here are my questions for those of you using diamond wheels and ACC:

Every new diamond wheel includes one 150ml bottle of ACC. At the recommended dilution of 1:25, and the T8 water trough holding 125ml of water and 5ml of ACC, this included bottle should ideally provide thirty fresh sharpening sessions. This number will be influenced both by any spillage and how often the diluted solution is reused. The question is, have you used the ACC enough to require purchasing more?

Approximately how many knives or tools will one bottle of ACC last the way you sharpen? Related to this, for those who sharpen professionally, how much revenue will this number of knives or tools produce?

I hope this topic will provide a better definition of what "expensive" is.

Ken

HaioPaio

I thought it is called ACC-150 because it is a 150ml bottle.
Is Tormek giving a 250ml bottle with any Diamond Wheel?

Ken S

HP, you are correct. My ACC is in my basement workshop. The stairs are presently very difficult for me. I looked at the image of a bottle on the website using my magnifying glass. I thought the 250ml on the top line was the quantity in the bottle. I looked more closely after reading your reply and realized that all the lines were either 10ml (the amount of concentrate) or 250ml (the amount ot water).

So, the included single bottle is 150ml, the same size as is sold (in a two pack.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: HaioPaio on July 24, 2024, 01:47:07 PMIs Tormek giving a 250ml bottle with any Diamond Wheel?

Yes. They supply one bottle with each wheel. I ended up with four but gave one to my son.

I am a hobbyist and now mostly use the D wheels and went through one bottle in maybe six months. If you are a professional then I would image that you would chew through it quite fast. I don't filter but decant but that wastes very little and keeps the Tormek juice pretty clean.

I bought a 5L of coolant, but you need to be careful which one you buy. Make sure you read the MSDS first. This makes it very much cheaper and I am sure does pretty much the same job. There are also other "sharpening lubricant" products  some of which may be cheaper.

Columbo

Ken great question.

I for sure would find this quantitative analysis very beneficial.

I'm sure our career-minded pro knife, sharpeners maybe be able to chime in and offer us some insight. Hopefully please.

But muddling this in my head right now, I think there maybe several other variables that may influence the uses of ACC. For example, the subjective variable concerning the amount of pressure one puts on the knife while grinding on the diamond stone, which in turn naturally would create a dirtier and more tainted water solution. Now I'm no where near even an intermediate sharpener but l am falling prey to maybe changing the solution more often than l should be even as a hobbiest if you will.

Anyveee, hopefully again, our 33 daily knife sharpening wizards can ante up some insights.

Thxxxx Phil