News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Keeping disk wet

Started by Stonepecker, June 15, 2024, 05:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonepecker

Hi all,
since I'm not using my new T4 permanently, I was wondering whether it's ok to keep the disk in water all the time. It seems to absorb quite a lot while idle. Should I drain the water and let the grinding stone dry out until the next time I use it - a few days?

What's the best practice?

And another question: should I oil the honing disk as well? Currently I was using it as is.

Thanks for advice.

Stonepecker

cbwx34

Quote from: Stonepecker on June 15, 2024, 05:36:22 PMHi all,
since I'm not using my new T4 permanently, I was wondering whether it's ok to keep the disk in water all the time. It seems to absorb quite a lot while idle. Should I drain the water and let the grinding stone dry out until the next time I use it - a few days?

What's the best practice?

And another question: should I oil the honing disk as well? Currently I was using it as is.

Thanks for advice.

Stonepecker

Best practice is to remove from water when not in use.  (I would also empty the water after a session, and start fresh the next time, to avoid the buildup of debris.)

As for oil, an initial coating is now recommended, after that, if you use Tormek honing paste, you don't need to add more, it has oil in it.  But if it's working fine now, I wouldn't worry about it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Stonepecker