News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a conversation with a reseller

Started by Ken S, June 12, 2024, 04:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

One of my very few disagreements with the online classes is about replacement "transport spacers" This little spacer keeps the shaft aligned when the grinding wheel is removed. Unfortunately, it is frequently lost or discarded. When viewers question how to get a replacement, they are told to make one out of wood or similar materials. I think this is poor advice. Yes, I have made several out of plastic water pipe; however, I have a drill press. Complaints to Tormek and a prominent parts dealer went nowhere.

Last August, during my visit to Tormek, I had the good fortune to meet John and Darren Of Sharpening Supplies. I shared my complaint with them. They told me they would look into it. To my surprise, the spacer was listed on their website, along with several other hard to find parts. I immediately ordered one. Darren emailed me to let me know that my order would be complimentary, a nice touch.

Two bits of advice:

First, for those who still have their spacer, mark it "SAVE" with a Sharpie.

Second, make a note to include a couple with your next Sharpening Supplies order.

The spacers themselves are very inexpensive; it's shipping which drives up the cost. Combining them with other products softens the shipping cost.

Ken
"

cbwx34

You'll (not) like this... in another sedgetool video, he just takes off the SG wheel and starts honing.  The shaft stays perfectly in place...

https://youtu.be/P7XkRn42qgs?si=4PWkYUdAhLUsNpxJ&t=160

... I try this and mine comes right out.  Don't know what the "magic" is.   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John Hancock Sr

If you have (or know someone who has) a 3D printer you can print one of these. My son printed this for my (now my other son's) second hand T7.

https://www.printables.com/model/135697-entretoise-meule-tormek

Ken S

General Tormek Questions / Re: a conversation with a reseller
Yesterday at 10:30:11 AM
You'll (not) like this... in another sedgetool video, he just takes off the SG wheel and starts honing.  The shaft stays perfectly in place...

https://youtu.be/P7XkRn42qgs?si=4PWkYUdAhLUsNpxJ&t=160

You're right CB; I don't like this. He does neglect to place the transport spacer. While part of me is sympathetic to oversights, anyone making instructional videos should be more careful and correct errors like this in editing.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 12, 2024, 04:01:15 AM... replacement "transport spacers" This little spacer keeps the shaft aligned when the grinding wheel is removed. Unfortunately, it is frequently lost or discarded. When viewers question how to get a replacement, they are told to make one out of wood or similar materials. I think this is poor advice. Yes, I have made several out of plastic water pipe; however, I have a drill press. ...

Not a solution many have around but I had the idea to try a 12mm Stop Collar the last few days, and it works...

You cannot view this attachment.

... just used it finger tight (no wrench needed.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I'm a believer in using transport spacers. Before using one, I inadvertently almost dropped my shaft mounted grinding wheel onto a concrete floor.

At the same time, I was also fitting my Norton 3X grinding wheel to my T4. Norton provided reducing bushings from one inch down to 5/8". I needed to make a reducing bushing from 5/8" to 12mm. I cobbled together bushings using 5/8" OD plastic water pipe. I didn't have a 12mm drill bit; however, my 31/64" bit did the job with a little reaming, an adequate, but not perfect solution.

3D printed spacers are a step up. For those who are willing to pay for the best, Schleifjunkies sells spacers machined of delrin. These are solid, spacious, and work like a dream.

I am also partial to the Tormek replacements sold by Sharpening Supplies at a very modest price.

Ken