News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to achieve less than 100 bess?

Started by jimon, May 09, 2024, 09:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DT

When I moved the honing wheel enough for everything to work, the end of the shaft was flush. 

I can remove the grinding wheel and move the shaft enough to get the nut on the honing wheel end but I think doing that is going to create another problem.  I'll get back on it tomorrow and let you know how I goes.

3D Anvil

Quote from: DT on June 19, 2024, 07:32:49 PMI've thought about buying an 8 leather wheel and using it on the grinding side. The problem is ... I can't find one with a 12mm hole.
https://schleifjunkies.de/en/product/leather-wheel-t4-200x35mm-smooth-side-out-side/

DT

I ordered the leather wheel.   $108.  I received a fraud alert within minutes of placing the order. So far the only confirmation has been from PayPal.

cbwx34

Quote from: DT on June 20, 2024, 04:39:36 AMWhen I moved the honing wheel enough for everything to work, the end of the shaft was flush. 

I can remove the grinding wheel and move the shaft enough to get the nut on the honing wheel end but I think doing that is going to create another problem.  I'll get back on it tomorrow and let you know how I goes.

Yeah, I tried this morning.  The only place I could put a washer was between the drive wheel and honing wheel.  The design isn't very conducive to my idea.  :-[

It did help a little, and while it's still a "snug" fit for the KS jig, I checked it against a calculator and it didn't appear to affect the accuracy. 

Quote from: DT on June 20, 2024, 12:25:35 PMI ordered the leather wheel.   $108.  I received a fraud alert within minutes of placing the order. So far the only confirmation has been from PayPal.

Hanns (the Schleifjunkies owner) is pretty responsive on Facebook, you might try him there if you don't get a response to your order.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

DT

The bank called me later.  I'm going to the in a few minutes.

Ken S

My past experiences with both Slipakniven and Schleifjunkies have been positive. I would be very surprised if there is any actual fraud.

Please keep us updated.

Ken

3D Anvil

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2024, 05:54:51 PMMy past experiences with both Slipakniven and Schleifjunkies have been positive. I would be very surprised if there is any actual fraud.

Please keep us updated.

Ken
Same here.  I've ordered from Schleifjunkies several times and never had a problem.  I think these bank fraud alerts are now done using some kind of AI algorithm.  If the algorithm thinks you've made a purchase that seems unusual for you, it will throw up a flag.  That's happened to me several times with the Apple card.  I just have to confirm that I did in fact make that [weird] purchase. 

DT

You are right.  The bank was clueless.  They told me that my PayPal payment went through.

I'm anxious to try this honing wheel.  As you can see from my BESS scores, honing is a very important step in the sharpening process. 

cbwx34

Quote from: DT on June 20, 2024, 06:52:25 PM...honing is a very important step in the sharpening process.

Tormek has a class on it...

... to quote them  "Honing is where the magic happens". :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

DT

I watched that video a while back. I don't get much out of videos since I have a serious hearing disorder.

I always have the sound muted. I cannot understand what they say.

I sharpened another new CraftKitchen knife today.  I will post the numbers tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I plan on using the TT-50 then sharpening another knife.

The sharpener that I was using before I bought the T4 was the Work Sharp Profesional Precision Adjust.   It had 6 plates plus a leather plate.  I tried going by the book and using all of them. Sharpening a knife on that machine took a lot of time and work. I never got good with that sharpener.

After I bought the T4 I tried grading the stone and sharpening with two grits.  I never liked grading the grinding wheel.  I thought about buying more wheels but never did.

Over time I developed my method of using just the course grit. 

Dutchman

Quote from: DT on June 21, 2024, 05:25:12 AM...
I don't get much out of videos since I have a serious hearing disorder.
You may already be aware of this, but you can turn on the subtitles in the settings (gear symbol) and reduce the speed.

DT

Thanks Dutchman, I didn't know that.  Captions are usually too fast and the font too small.  I was able to change both to my liking.

I'm 78 and not and not nearly as quick as I once was.

Thanks again.  This is going to be a tremendous help.

DT

I received a delivery date, just now, of June 27 for the 8 inch leather wheel.  I'll let everyone know how well it works.

Dan

Hi DT,
I ordered a 200mm leather wheel from Shleifjunkies and have been using it for knives ever since. I am very happy with it.
I mounted it on another machine so that I dont have to remove any wheels and it works perfectly.
Details with photos on this thread here if you are interested:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?msg=38933

Danny

DT

Dan, thanks for the pictures.  The link went straight to them. 

I plan on swapping the leather wheel out with the grinding wheel.  I don't think it will too much trouble.

I sharpened two more CraftKitchen knives today.  I will share the numbers:

CraftKitchen (1st knife)
New 205
Sharpened 110
Honed 1st set 100
Honed 2nd set 70

It took 4 passes to get the first burr.
It took 5 passed to get the second burr.

CraftKitchen (2nd knife)
I sharpened this knife after using the TT-50 to level the wheel.

New 235
Sharpened 140
Honed 1st set 110
Honed 2nd set 100

I added compound before the 3rd set.

Honed 3rd set 95 
Honed 4th set 85
Honed 5th set 75

It took 1 pass to get the first burr.
It took 2 passes to get the  second burr.

After I get a burr on both sides, I remove as much of the burr as I can by making very  light and quick additional passes on the grinding wheel.

I made 8 of these passes on each side.  Alternating of course.

On the 5th pass the BESS score was 195.
On the 6th pass the BESS score was 255.
On the 8th pass the BESS score was 140.