News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cleaning/ unclogging tormek stone grader

Started by dankeelz, October 11, 2023, 10:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankeelz

Maybe this is a silly question, but, is it possible to CLEAN/ UNCLOG the Tormek SP 650 STONE GRADER? The rough side of mine seems to be "not so rough" any more.

cbwx34

Quote from: dankeelz on October 11, 2023, 10:26:51 PMMaybe this is a silly question, but, is it possible to CLEAN/ UNCLOG the Tormek SP 650 STONE GRADER? The rough side of mine seems to be "not so rough" any more.

I recall someone posting they took a sharp edge of a piece of metal and "scratched" up the surface to roughen it up again.

You can also for the last few seconds of grading, rotate the grading stone so the edge contacts the wheel... that might help produce a more coarse surface.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

If clogging is the issue, I'd try a high pressure washer. Better be cautious and start with low to medium pressure at a safe distance.

If it is not clogging, but rather a smoothing of the grader's surface, I'd look into refreshing it with a 80 grit diamond plate.

RickKrung

I wonder if it won't take "refreshing" the entire surface in the same manner as the Truing Tool does for the grindstones, except in a flat surface plane, sort of like a surface grinder.  Don't have a clue "how" one would do that, but...   

Maybe a very coarse diamond plate?  Or maybe, better to just use a coarse diamond plate to do the stone grading and skip the stone grader.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

Rick you're right. I seldom use my stone grader anymore. A diamond plate in the SE-77 works a charm.

RichColvin

Quote from: tgbto on October 16, 2023, 09:06:15 AMRick you're right. I seldom use my stone grader anymore. A diamond plate in the SE-77 works a charm.
Would you be so kind as to share of picture of what you're doing?  It sounds intriguing.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ringarn67

I donĀ“t know, of course  8)
But I am guessing, at least this is the way I will do it when I get my diamond plates

Video from Vadim (RIP)
https://youtu.be/141hD1d1zj0?si=emE7jdSvL9FbGwMw

tgbto

That is exactly it. I found that my diamond plate was rigid enough that I don't need to add the plane iron, bending is minimal.