News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Paint scrapers

Started by robkcc, October 13, 2023, 10:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robkcc

My new T4 makes my sharpening life a lot easier. Knives and chisels, very easy, very sharp.
No need for the blue band aids so far !

I have some paint scrapers to sharpen. Like these: https://www.toolstation.com/prodec-professional-shave-hook/p58907

I've tried SE-77 and the universal support, no luck of course.

What would you recommend ?

Thanks !

cbwx34

Quote from: robkcc on October 13, 2023, 10:41:50 PMMy new T4 makes my sharpening life a lot easier. Knives and chisels, very easy, very sharp.
No need for the blue band aids so far !

I have some paint scrapers to sharpen. Like these: https://www.toolstation.com/prodec-professional-shave-hook/p58907

I've tried SE-77 and the universal support, no luck of course.

What would you recommend ?

Thanks !

I don't have one, so not sure if it would work, but I'd try using the handle as a guide with it resting on the USB, on the wheel "turning away" side.  (See pic. for example.)

You cannot view this attachment.

Match the bevel using the "marker method".

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Scissors Jig?  If the blade does not come off the shaft, maybe position the shaft between the two clamps on the jig. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

I think the SVS-50 could do the job as well, but for just one tool, I'd go the way suggested by @cbwx34.

RichColvin

Rob,

You need to look at this using two criteria:

1. Is the blade removable?  If so, then sharpen it using the SVD-186.  That is the way we sharpen cutter blades for wood turning (https://sharpeninghandbook.info/WW-Scrape-Blade.html).

2. If not, then is the shaft (between the handle and the blade) round?
  • If not, consider using the SVD-110 Tool Rest.  It would be easy to align the sharpening action with the sides of the shaft.
  • If it is round, then this is a bit of a sticky wicket.  The SVD-110 could still be used, but you'd have to use more hand control on the sharpening action.  That is not terrible, but it requires more attention.

Just some thoughts.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

robkcc

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll give it a go this weekend. I'll post back with the results.

Ken S

My first thought would be to use the SVD-110 and a straight edge. (An accurate rule would suffice.) Proceed slowly, checking often until you get the hang of it.
Please post your results.

Ken

John_B

I always thought paint scrapers were not supposed to be sharp. You don't want them digging into the wood. My best results have come from chemically softening the old paint then scraping it off.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease