News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wood chipper blades

Started by J.Z, October 26, 2023, 12:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z

Hello!
My Name is Jay and a freshly new forum member.
So, I recently bought a Tormek T-8 together with the HTK 806 kit and a used SE 76 jig. My main goal is to sharpen kitchen knifes and chisels.
But there are also some devices that need some treatment.

like my wood chipper. Its a small one that runs on 230V for my garden.
I took out the blades and was wondering how to sharpen those. Is there any jig recommended?
Here Are some Pictures:
You cannot view this attachment.

Thanks for your help
Tormek T-8 Black Edition

John Hancock Sr

I would suggest the KJ-45 if it opens wide enough. I would have though the coarse would be plenty good for these since it is pretty much brute force and ignorance.

RichColvin

They are probably at a 40-45° grind angle, and need a good, clean edge (not razor sharp).  My first thought is that these should be sharpened by hand, running against the Tormek grindstone.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

J.Z

Thank you very much for the quick responses.
I have also considered grinding by hand. It might be possible, as the contact surface of the blade is very wide.

I can't really imagine using the KJ-45 holder. but I will try out both variations at the weekend.
Tormek T-8 Black Edition

John Hancock Sr

I have a semi-industrial wood chipper and the blades are about 300 (12") x 15 mm (5/8") thick. Not sure how I would do them.  They don't need to be too straight, so long as they are pretty straight and sharpish. My father-in-law threw in bundles of small branches off the ground mixed with gravel and did a nice job on the edge. Last time (BT (Before Tormek))I freehand on a regular bench grinder but it was a job and a half!