News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thoughts on the new 50th Anniversary T8

Started by Ken S, July 23, 2023, 05:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My new 50th Anniversary T8 Black Edition arrived yesterday. It's delivery was delayed slightly because the first shipment to the US was already sold out.

I have mixed feelings about the 50th edition. The thrifty, practical New England Yankee part of me is fully aware that it is mechanically identical with the regular T8 and that the DF-250 diamond grinding wheel and composite honing wheel can be purchased separately or as part of the T8 Custom. With my eyes closed, it is indistinguishable from the regular T8. The Tormek fanatic side of me thinks differently.

I have always been partial to the traditional SG grinding wheel and leather honing wheel. I will continue to use them for much of my sharpening. However, I can see diamond wheels and composite honing becoming  increasingly important in the future (already here). The fiftieth anniversary T8  comes out of the box with both.

I have faith that Tormek will honor the fifty year warranty. My T7, my oldest Tormek, has never given me any trouble. I suspect my heirs will still be using both of them when I am long gone.

Ken

tgbto

I have a feeling that you're the only *thrifty* New England Yankee who already owned a T8 and diamond wheels and other Tormeks who got the 50th anniversary edition  ;)

Ken S

Maybe so. I should change my "thrifty" self description to "generally thrifty". My wife and I share one car, a ten year old basic Chevy Equinox. We rarely dine in restaurants or travel. We don't play golf and we share one smallish television.

My mentor worked the farmers markets for many years with an ancient SuperGrind. In his teaching area he also had a 40th Anniversary Tormek. I suspect that with the very strong resale market for Tormek his 40th Anniversary Edition may be worth more now than when new. I don't believe my new Tormek will decline in value over the years.

Ken

Ken S

Out of curiosity, I priced the difference between a T8 Custom with DF-250, a composite honing wheel, and a cover AND a T8 Anniversary model. I was surprised. The T8 Custom combination was actually $54 USD more expensive than the Anniversary limited edition. I am not saying that the Anniversary model will always be expensive. I am saying that one should not assume that it is more expensive without comparing prices.

Ken

John_B

I would be interested on your impressions of how the composite wheel and the leather wheel stack up side by side using your normal sharpening stone.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 25, 2023, 08:58:18 PMOut of curiosity, I priced the difference between a T8 Custom with DF-250, a composite honing wheel, and a cover AND a T8 Anniversary model. I was surprised. The T8 Custom combination was actually $54 USD more expensive than the Anniversary limited edition. I am not saying that the Anniversary model will always be expensive. I am saying that one should not assume that it is more expensive without comparing prices.

Ken

I only got a $23 dollar difference. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Did you include the $31 dust cover? (Not necessary, but included with the Anniversary model)

EDIT: My point is that "the surcharge" for the Anniversary model is not always excessive.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 25, 2023, 10:48:44 PMDid you include the $31 dust cover? (Not necessary, but included with the Anniversary model)
Ken

Yup... didn't include that. :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

My thrifty side has used old towels as dust covers for years.   :)

tgbto

Bought in bulk to cover your Tormek farm at the best price  ;D  ?

Ken S