News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

50th anniversary edition T8 warranty?

Started by Nghtrdr, April 16, 2023, 09:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nghtrdr

Hi peeps,
New guy from Canada looking to purchase my first Tormek.
I saw the anniversary edition and looked at the warranty but am a bit a miss. The warranty statement is not at all clear. It only states the warranty covers defects and you must have the receipt. Who has receipts for 50 yrs? Say I have an issue years after purchase. What's to stop Tormek simply saying it's wear and tear? What I am getting at is the warranty doesn't seem to be a full bumper to bumper coverage. Also you get no guides to start out with. I would be out of pocket just to be able to do anything other then freehand. I mean if I am going to free hand why on earth would I buy a Tormek?!
In viewing a ton of vids on YouTube I noticed the leather wheel is the wheel to have since the composite wheel is equal to 600 grit. Is this correct?
Is the anniversary edition even worth looking at?

Any insight is appreciated!

Ken S

Dan,

Here is the reply from Tormek to my question to them regarding the 50 year warranty:

"Yes, The warranty is transferable to another person like always but they need to have the original receipt.
We also recommend them to change the name on the registration on the Tormek website. They do that by contacting us."

I think we should give Tormek some slack with the fifty year warranty. That length of coverage is unknown territory. In my experiences, both direct and mostly indirect, with Tormek warranty service, I have found the service outstanding.
My suggestion is to register any Tormek online. Keep any relevant paperwork, including your receipt, in an envelope taped to the inside back cover of your handbook.

Is the Anniversary model even worth looking at? In my opinion, it depends on what you want. Mechanically, the Anniversary model is identical with Tormek's current flagship T8. If you want the top of the line performance, either will suffice. If you are a "limited edition" kind of person, the Anniversary edition is for you.

Ken

Nghtrdr

Idk
I read your post about the warranty but transferring it was not my concern here at all but rather what is actually covered. The warranty statement is very vague! Maybe this is intentional.

If all they are going to cover is manufacturing defects, what's the point of a 50yrs warranty? Any defects would present itself within the first year of usage! Seems to me this is nothing but a marketing thing really. I doupt very much if/when the bearings in the motor goes they will cover it. If I am wrong please correct me!
If I am to pay extra for a limited edition machine, I expect more then the standard machine offers out of the box! I mean it doesn't even come with any jigs to get me going!

I know it sounds like I am talking myself out of the purchase but I am just trying to justify paying aprox $1400+tax cdn for a machine that can not be used out of the box without additional out of pocket expense. Would be nice to own a limited edition but not if the standard offers more. Maybe I am expecting too much for my money in this.

cbwx34

I think part of the answer is what accessories/stones you want with the machine.  In the U.S.  the 50th anniversary is $995.  It comes with the DF250 and CW220.  If you get a T-8 "Custom"... the T-8 that lets you pick and add the wheels you want, and add a DF250 and CW220, it comes to $1018 U.S.

Most of the accessories that come with a "stock" T-8 ($880) are related to the SG stone... truing tool, stone grader, etc.  You do get the SE-77 and AngleMaster, so if you use those it might matter.  (They would not to me.)

So, my .02, it depends on whether the DF250 and CW220 interest you over the stock items... if not, it's probably not worth it.

And I agree, the 50yr warranty is mainly marketing.  (I don't think I'd factor it much into the pricing.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Nghtrdr

Thank you for your reply!

The anniversary edition in Canada comes with the same. The one site I could find shows it at $1363.99 + tax and shipping.
It's my understanding that the composite wheel is 600 grit. If the df250 is 600 grit what's the point of the composite wheel?
I would be using the Tormek for knifes, chisels and plane blades for myself and family. I currently do this by hand and admittedly am not very good at it lol.

cbwx34

Quote from: Nghtrdr on April 17, 2023, 09:31:09 PM...
It's my understanding that the composite wheel is 600 grit. If the df250 is 600 grit what's the point of the composite wheel?

I'm not sure what the grit is, but even if it is 600g, it's in a softer material and wouldn't cut like that.  The material and embedded grit combination are for burr removal.  (I don't think it would even polish well, although I've never tried.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Nghtrdr

Thanks for the reply.
Check out knife grinders Australia on YouTube. He did. Great vid on it.

Ken S

Dan,

Two thoughts: the fifty year warranty and grits.

I have no clue about how things will be with Tormek (or anything else) in fifty years. I will share my experience with Tormek service as an indicator as to how  things might be then. I purchased one of the first SB-250 blackstones. My knife sharpening mentor had switched to it and was very pleased with its longevity. Mine kept gumming up. After I reached my fill of frustration, I left it on the shelf. Years later, I decided to inquire about it with Tormek. I sent an email to Håkan, Tormek's abrasive expert and CEO. I thought I was doing something wrong, as two distinguished experts I knew were using the SB quite successfully. Håkan quickly replied that he thought my problem might be my SB and that he would like to send me another new one at no charge. Tormek warrantees its grinding wheels for two years. My SB was ten years old. That solved my problem. That stellar service is the basis of my faith in Tormek.

I don't worry much about grits. My 360 grit diamond wheel cuts faster than my 220 grit SG. There are other factors beside grit in how a wheel cuts.

I would suggest you skip the Anniversary model in favor of an Original T8. The T8 should give you a lifetime of service. It is mechanically identical to the Anniversary model. The SG is the ideal grinding wheel to learn on and, with the leather honing wheel, should fit your needs. It has an eight year warranty (5+3 if registered) and will last longer than that. In that time, you may wish to upgrade to whatever the flagship Tormek is at the time.

Go with a regular T8 and enjoy your sharp tools.

Ken

Nghtrdr

Quote from: Ken S on April 18, 2023, 05:04:44 AMDan,

Two thoughts: the fifty year warranty and grits.

I have no clue about how things will be with Tormek (or anything else) in fifty years. I will share my experience with Tormek service as an indicator as to how  things might be then. I purchased one of the first SB-250 blackstones. My knife sharpening mentor had switched to it and was very pleased with its longevity. Mine kept gumming up. After I reached my fill of frustration, I left it on the shelf. Years later, I decided to inquire about it with Tormek. I sent an email to Håkan, Tormek's abrasive expert and CEO. I thought I was doing something wrong, as two distinguished experts I knew were using the SB quite successfully. Håkan quickly replied that he thought my problem might be my SB and that he would like to send me another new one at no charge. Tormek warrantees its grinding wheels for two years. My SB was ten years old. That solved my problem. That stellar service is the basis of my faith in Tormek.

I don't worry much about grits. My 360 grit diamond wheel cuts faster than my 220 grit SG. There are other factors beside grit in how a wheel cuts.

I would suggest you skip the Anniversary model in favor of an Original T8. The T8 should give you a lifetime of service. It is mechanically identical to the Anniversary model. The SG is the ideal grinding wheel to learn on and, with the leather honing wheel, should fit your needs. It has an eight year warranty (5+3 if registered) and will last longer than that. In that time, you may wish to upgrade to whatever the flagship Tormek is at the time.

Go with a regular T8 and enjoy your sharp tools.

Ken

Ken
Our thoughts are aligned. I just don't see the point of the anniversary edition that costs more but gives less then its original counter part.
Currently looking at either a T8 or T4 at this point.just need to sort out the differences beyond size.

Ken S

Dan,

I think you are wise at this point to learn more and compare the T4 and T8. I have both and will tell you that either will handle your needs. I have a few suggestions about things to ignore in your comparison.
1) Don't get hung up in comparing costs. In the long run, any difference is insignificant.
2) Ignore the "thirty minute duty cycle". This is an old carry over myth from the T3. Tormek corrected the problem with the redesigned machined zinc top of the T4. Watch the online class video comparing the different models. At twenty five minutes, they explain the thirty minute myth.
3) Don't get hung up on wheel dimensions. The 200mm x 40mm of the T4 wheels is the same diameter as most dry grinders and the width is greater.

I agree with you about not paying more for the same function. That's why my vehicle is a basic Chevy Equinox instead of a fancier model. Fortunately, Tormek is not discontinuing either the T4 or the T8.

Ken

Nghtrdr

I took the plunge and purchased a T8 this past sunday!
I have yet to sharpen anything but have some old chisels and plane to practice on. I did do some honing on my hand sharpened chisels to see if the leather wheel would be better then a leather stop. I must say there is a clear difference. The chisels cut much cleaner. I look forward to restoring a few kitchen knives we have had for over 20yrs (will gift to our daughter).

Ken S