News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-8 vs. T-8 Original

Started by Citee, August 12, 2020, 04:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citee

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and unfortunately not yet an owner of a tormek. I'm currently in the decision making process and arguing to myself that I need a T-8.
During my research and looking for a good offer, I found a German shop that offers a "T-8" as well as a "T-8 Original". So I called the shop (also because I didn't get their packet pricing logic) and they told me, that there was recently an update in the packaging and the T-8 is called "T-8 Original" from now on.

Does anyone have further information if the packaging is definately the only thing that has changed?

Thanks
Fabian

micha

I'm not aware of different T-8 models over here, so I think the 'packaging' argument is very plausible.
Besides, changes on a machine within a series would not be Tormek-typical at all.
Mike

Citee

I found an additional difference:
The T8 "Original" includes an EM-15 Edge Marker.

At the respective shop there was a price difference of ~84€ between T8 and T8 "Original" which would make the EM-15 Edge Marker the most expensive sharpie ever  ;D

Ken S

Citee, welcome to the forum.

I love marketingspeak. The "original" was formerly known just as the "T8". "Custom" is a better marketing word than "stripped down". I would highly recommend that a new user choose the original. The custom is better suited for an experienced user wanting to add a second Tormek without duplicating things like the traditional grinding wheel, SE-77, or TT-50.

Ken

PS Some of us have gotten by with just a regular Sharpie.

cbwx34

Quote from: Citee on August 12, 2020, 04:56:56 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and unfortunately not yet an owner of a tormek. I'm currently in the decision making process and arguing to myself that I need a T-8.
During my research and looking for a good offer, I found a German shop that offers a "T-8" as well as a "T-8 Original". So I called the shop (also because I didn't get their packet pricing logic) and they told me, that there was recently an update in the packaging and the T-8 is called "T-8 Original" from now on.

Does anyone have further information if the packaging is definately the only thing that has changed?

Thanks
Fabian

Are you looking at one of the kits?  'Cause I wonder if it has to do with this...

QuoteNew from Tormek: HTK-806 Hand Tool Kit, TNT-808 Wood Turner's KitComposite Honing Wheel for T8, T-7 and S2000, Storage Solutions and the new SVD-186R. All of our T-8 and T-4 packages now include the NEW kits. Some are still available with the TNT-708 at a lower cost.
https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/tormek-home

(I crossed out the part that doesn't apply).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Citee

@Ken S: Thank you for the additional info. In my case, both "versions" of the T8 from that seller come with the same accessories (TT-50, SE-77) and the SG-250 grinding wheel. The only difference is the marker and maybe a different packaging.

Here are the links to the products (if not allowed in the forum, pls delete):

T8: https://www.siltec-technik.de/de/holz-metall/tormek-nassschleifsystem/tormek-nassschleifmaschinen/tormek-t8-nassschleifmaschine-nass-schaerfsystem-fuer-schneidwerkzeuge
T8"Original" : https://www.siltec-technik.de/de/detail/index/sArticle/19300

I dont know why the URLs differ that much  ???

cbwx34

I think this is the "packaging" difference..

... maybe combined with a price increase?

(If so, the choice is obvious IMO)...  ???

Ken S

I would gladly pay a couple euros more for a T8 which included a marker labelled "Tormek". However, the price spread between the two packages seems excessive, even for a Tormek junkie like me. I would want to investigate the differences between the two.

Life was simpler when all T8s were just T8s.

Good luck and please continue to keep us posted.

Ken

GeoBoy

What I see is the first T-8 had the old style TT-50 and no marker and the second T-8 has the new style TT-50 and the sharpie/marker.

Ken S

The new style TT-50 has been offered long enough that there should be no unsold kits with the older model. Purchasing new, I would insist on the new model.
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: GeoBoy on August 13, 2020, 02:42:17 AM
What I see is the first T-8 had the old style TT-50 and no marker and the second T-8 has the new style TT-50 and the sharpie/marker.

Would better explain the price difference... 👍

Ken S

Both the old style and the new style have a list price of $93US.
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 13, 2020, 03:47:20 AM
Both the old style and the new style have a list price of $93US.
Ken

I was thinking "older" model gets a discount?

Ken S

One might think so....... :)
Ken