News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN on mainstream knives

Started by Antz, July 06, 2019, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

Hello everyone,

So I'm seriously considering purchasing a couple of custom cbn wheels from woodturning wonders. I'm looking at getting the tornado Jr. 8 inch wheels customized with radius edges. One 400 grit and one 1200 grit. My concern is will these wheels load up quickly when used on mainstream knives? All the info I can find is that they are not meant to be used on carbon steel and are meant for HS steel. But also that's pertaining to high speed grinding. So on a low speed such as a tormek, used with water will they still load up? I'm hoping I can use them for the majority of my knife sharpening and never have to worry about them going out of round. Also I'm leaning towards cbn because as far as I know I can't get diamond wheels customized with radius edges.

Thanks,
Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

wootz

Mate, feel free to email me for advice, we have years of experience with them.
I love Tormek in its entirety and, honestly, am not comfortable talking about competitors' wheels on the Tormek own forum, even comparing the diamond wheel to CBN etc
One thing I can tell for sure is that the diamond/CBN coating is not the same on wheels made by this or that manufacturer, and when Tormek puts its name on the wheel you can trust its quality

Antz

Thanks Wootz. I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards tormek in anyway whatsoever. I agree the quality of the machines and jigs are unmatched. I'm sure the tormek diamond wheels are a cut above the rest in that regard.

Thanks,
Antz
Quote from: wootz on July 07, 2019, 01:08:57 AM
Mate, feel free to email me for advice, we have years of experience with them.
I love Tormek in its entirety and, honestly, am not comfortable talking about competitors' wheels on the Tormek own forum, even comparing the diamond wheel to CBN etc
One thing I can tell for sure is that the diamond/CBN coating is not the same on wheels made by this or that manufacturer, and when Tormek puts its name on the wheel you can trust its quality
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Ken S

Like Wootz, I have been starting to feel uncomfortable discussing CBN wheels and non Tormek grinding wheels on Tormek's forum.

When I wrote an extensive review of CBN wheels several years ago, Tormek was not offering anything comparable. Therefore, I felt no conflict of interest. Wootz has generously offered to answer individual questions via pm. Wootz is the most knowledgeable person I am aware of on this subject, although we do have several other knowledgeable members.

I will leave all CBN past posts in place. In the future, I would request CBN related questions be handled by pm.

Ken Schroeder, Forum Moderator