News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 vs. T-4 Bushcraft

Started by SlimGeezer, January 29, 2019, 04:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimGeezer

I'm considering a T-4 or a T-4 Bushcraft. It looks like they are the same machines; however, the T-4 Bushcraft is $24 more and includes 2 jigs. Am I seeing that correctly? If that is the case, it looks like the Bushcraft is a better deal.

cbwx34

Quote from: SlimGeezer on January 29, 2019, 04:00:00 AM
I'm considering a T-4 or a T-4 Bushcraft. It looks like they are the same machines; however, the T-4 Bushcraft is $24 more and includes 2 jigs. Am I seeing that correctly? If that is the case, it looks like the Bushcraft is a better deal.

You're correct... same machine... just has the added jigs (and different color). :)

There's a comparison page here....

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/machine-models/
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I second CB's comments. Regarding the included jigs, they are a "good deal" if they fit your sharpening needs. The knife jig is probably my most used jig. It is certainly capable of sharpening knives for adventuring in the bush, however, in my case, my knife adventures are generally more domestic. The jig works equally well in the kitchen. After nine years of thinking that I might possibly need an ax jig, I finally purchased one. It does look nice in my jig drawer. My point is extras like included jigs are a good deal only if you need/use them. (I do not own an ax.)

I have owned a T4 since 2014. It is a versatile and capable machine. Its compact size and lighter weight make it an ideal choice for anyone needing it to be portable. Tormek has been wanting to expand its presence in the outdoor market. I think the "Bushcraft" concept is clever marketing idea. I would be equally happy with either model.

Ken

Attached is a link to the wickipedia article on bushcraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushcraft

John_B

At one point I thought a knife came with the Bushcraft. Looks like that must have been a promotion.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on January 29, 2019, 06:28:52 PM
At one point I thought a knife came with the Bushcraft. Looks like that must have been a promotion.

Right on both points. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

The knife included in the package was a Mora Knife (Morakniv, made in Sweden). I am not a knife collector, however, I confess that I have purchased two Mora Knife Classic knives. They are well designed and made. I like the simple, functional design. I also like the price, plus or minus $20 US. I think Mora makes a very nice knife for a very reasonable price. Check them out online.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on January 30, 2019, 01:41:46 AM
The knife included in the package was a Mora Knife (Morakniv, made in Sweden). I am not a knife collector, however, I confess that I have purchased two Mora Knife Classic knives. They are well designed and made. I like the simple, functional design. I also like the price, plus or minus $20 US. I think Mora makes a very nice knife for a very reasonable price. Check them out online.

Ken
Mora knife as low as $9.89 https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Utility-Combi-Sheath-3-6-Inch/dp/B01N2ISF1D/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1548842854&sr=1-3&keywords=morakniv+knife
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

I think that is one terrific bargain for a good knife. As I recall, Mora gets its carbon steel from Sandvik. I have watched a couple you tubes on survival knives. This knife would really not be considered a full survival knife. An ideal survival knife should have a full tang, which this knife does not have. Will a well designed partial tang hold up for the average user? I suspect so. While I might want a more heavy duty knife for a week or more in the wilderness, this knife should more than suffice for a typical family camping trip.

I was surprised to learn that carbon steel is the preferred steel for survival knives. I suspect that is due to ease of sharpening in the field.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on January 31, 2019, 04:08:21 AM
Jeff,

While I might want a more heavy duty knife for a week or more in the wilderness, this knife should more than suffice for a typical family camping trip.
Ken
No doubt, the knife I tagged is more of a home owners utility knife or a "training" knife for an aspiring cub or boy scout. Nevertheless, it shows how cheaply they can be acquired and I did not even check eBay. I often find the same thing cheaper on eBay but without the prime delivery/ two day perk. Always check around before buying on the internet, caveat emptor.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.