News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstone won't come off

Started by Rem, October 15, 2016, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on October 28, 2018, 04:24:33 PM
...snip...   a sharp tap from a dead blow hammer (with a plastic head) on the shaft's end.  The "shock" helped loosen it.  Do be gentle though.  It is easy to damage the shaft or break the stone. 
...snip...

Kind regards,
Rich

Is what I did recently also.  I think it came from grit getting into the joint and drying when the stone was left on the machine too long.  That is part of why I take them off and hang them over a milk crate to dry. 

That has also happened with the aluminum spacer I use to keep the shaft in place while using just the honing wheel (I take whatever wheel was last used off to do honing.)  I had to use a pipe wrench on the spacer to break it free.  Now I make sure to wipe off the shaft when going to the spacer. I could of course, drill it out to 1/2" but that offends my machinist side. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

playero

I lubricated with gun lubricant and waited a couple of hours no problem. after inspecting everything no problem found. cleaned and dried all. used the machine today no problem changing stones. now I do not leave the machine with the stone installed.the japanese stone works miracles. now I want the diamond stone. Regards

cbwx34

playero... glad you got it off.

Rich and Rick... just to satisfy my curiosity, was your wheel stuck to the shaft, or was the locking knob stuck?  (This thread originally was about the locking knob).

Inquiring minds.... :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 29, 2018, 03:17:24 AM
Rich and Rick... just to satisfy my curiosity, was your wheel stuck to the shaft, or was the locking knob stuck?  (This thread originally was about the locking knob).

Inquiring minds.... :)

Good clarification.  Shaft in my case. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

CB,

In my case, the nut was pretty well rusted on, but that came off after applying some penetrating oil, and then using a wrench to which I applied a quick tap using a hammer.  This is standard stuff, so I didn't mention it above.

The grindstone was also pretty well affixed to the shaft, and that is really what I was referring to above.

The washer behind it was also pretty well affixed, but that came off with a little bit of persuasion.

All the metal parts got cleaned up on the wire wheel I have on my bench grinder.  That worked acceptably until I got the replacement shaft which I greatly like.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Thanks for the replies... since the original post was about the EZ-LOC being stuck... wasn't sure if the hammer part would help.

Still good info to have though, since the stones get stuck too.

playero

the knob was stuck. it came out easily

Ken S

This situation has come up before, and will probably reappear at some time. I admit that I had an adventure a time or two with my Channelocks.........

I think that we can at least lessen, and possibly eliminate, the problem with very careful technique. Part of the problem is the EZYlock's left hand thread. It is counterintuitive. I put a piece of Scotch tape on the top of the Tormek on the grinding wheel side. I drew a black marker arrow in the direction the grinding wheel would be pushed to remove it. (Later I learned that the EZYlock nut has loosen and tighten arrows. I still like the tape and arrow idea.)

Make sure the EZYlock threads are clean.

Also, The wheel will snug itself properly when the motor is turned on. There is no need to tighten it separately. I think overtightening may be one of the gremlins.

Other thoughts? Please post them.

Ken

ps If you insist on living in the Yukon, 2000 miles from the nearest Tormek dealer, make sure you have a good dog team.  :)

Steelhead58

Just happened to me and mine is brand new!
I've only sharpened a couple things with it
Reason I found out it was seized was I wanted to leave the stone off when I wasn't using it
so it wouldn't get corrosion in it.Stones only been on for four days!
Not a good way to start a relationship
Terry

Ken S

Here is my reply from support:

Hello Ken.
We do not have a clear answer to why this sometimes happen. Stainless steel is a very  difficult material prone to galling.
If there is minor defect or sharp edges or debris it can cause galling.
Also overtightening can be a factor. Some users just put the ezy-lock washer on just a little bit  and the turn on the machine and let the stone rotate at full speed to lock. This can cause overtightening and make it difficult to get it loose. The ezy-lock should be tightened by hand all the way in and then let the machine do the rest.
Make sure the threads is smooth and free from dirt and defects.
A little bit of grease can help, do not forget the washer on the inside of the stone. It is important that the washer can move/rotate. If the inner washer is stuck on the shaft it will hold on to the stone and make it difficult to turn the stone to loosen it. Remember that grease do attract dirt, if you feel grittiness, clean the threads and re grease.

I consider this a good reply. I think we have not arrived at the definitive solution, although I do believe we are getting closer. I hope support is still investigating this. As an interested group, I also hope we of the forum will continue trying to solve this riddle.

We have five rubbing surfaces to consider: 1) The shaft collar and the inside surface of the spacer washer. 2) The outside of the spacer washer and the inside face of the grinding wheel. 3) The outside face of the grinding wheel and the inside face of the EZYlock. 4) The unthreaded part of the shaft. 5) The threads, factoring in both the male threads on the shaft and the female threads of the EZYlock.

Would making the flat surfaces smoother lessen the chances of seizing?

Would buffing the threads help?

Would hand turning up to (but not beyond) first contact help?

Would regularly cleaning the threads with a plastic bottle brush help?

There may be other possibilities. I would like together to solve this problem.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Jan on October 15, 2016, 11:42:26 PM
Rem, give it a little bit time, the morning is wiser than evening. Lubricate it well. Jan
I am not familiar with that saying, it must be one native to your country. However, I do not agree with it and wonder if you made a mistake when you typed it. It seems to me that the evening would be the wiser as you would have had all day to think the issue through. In the morning it would be without the benefit of thinking about it all day.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

The equivalent US saying would, "I'll have to sleep on it." Actually, I prefer Jan's version. The same way that "Bob's your uncle" makes me think of our friend, Rob, "The morning is wiser than the evening" will make me think of our friend, Jan, a pleasant thought.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on January 31, 2019, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: Jan on October 15, 2016, 11:42:26 PM
Rem, give it a little bit time, the morning is wiser than evening. Lubricate it well. Jan
I am not familiar with that saying, it must be one native to your country. However, I do not agree with it and wonder if you made a mistake when you typed it. It seems to me that the evening would be the wiser as you would have had all day to think the issue through. In the morning it would be without the benefit of thinking about it all day.

Quote from: Ken S on January 31, 2019, 01:53:48 PM
Jeff,

The equivalent US saying would, "I'll have to sleep on it." Actually, I prefer Jan's version. The same way that "Bob's your uncle" makes me think of our friend, Rob, "The morning is wiser than the evening" will make me think of our friend, Jan, a pleasant thought.

Ken

;)

jeffs55

"Also overtightening can be a factor. Some users just put the ezy-lock washer on just a little bit  and the turn on the machine and let the stone rotate at full speed to lock. This can cause overtightening and make it difficult to get it loose. The ezy-lock should be tightened by hand all the way in and then let the machine do the rest."

I have noticed this phenomenon on a gas powered weed eater when replacing the cutter string. If I tighten the spool nut tight by hand it requires a pair of large pliers to loosen the next time I have to remove it. If I hand tighten to just a little snug the inertia of the machine will finish the job. So I am saying to hand tighten to just snug and leave it alone, do not use any tools and do not bare down on it. Just snug it up. Let the running machine do the rest of the tightening. Tormek is saying "just a little bit", I am saying just a little more than that.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on January 31, 2019, 07:10:14 PM
"Also overtightening can be a factor. Some users just put the ezy-lock washer on just a little bit  and the turn on the machine and let the stone rotate at full speed to lock. This can cause overtightening and make it difficult to get it loose. The ezy-lock should be tightened by hand all the way in and then let the machine do the rest."

I have noticed this phenomenon on a gas powered weed eater when replacing the cutter string. If I tighten the spool nut tight by hand it requires a pair of large pliers to loosen the next time I have to remove it. If I hand tighten to just a little snug the inertia of the machine will finish the job. So I am saying to hand tighten to just snug and leave it alone, do not use any tools and do not bare down on it. Just snug it up. Let the running machine do the rest of the tightening. Tormek is saying "just a little bit", I am saying just a little more than that.

The way I read it... Tormek said the same thing you did... don't tighten it "just a little bit"... maybe with your example confirming that... we're on to a reason here?  ???