News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T2

Started by jwv162, December 23, 2018, 12:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwv162

Does anyone have experience with the T2?  What kind of an edge can you expect? Does it tend to round the tip or point of the knife?

cbwx34

Quote from: jwv162 on December 23, 2018, 12:36:04 PM
Does anyone have experience with the T2?  What kind of an edge can you expect? Does it tend to round the tip or point of the knife?

You wouldn't win a "World's Greatest Sharpening" contest... but it puts a decent slicing edge on it.  Keep in mind that it's more of a maintenance tool, not as much a sharpener.

No tip rounding...  (do you have experience with a belt sander)?  ???

I consider it a "niche" sharpener, with a guide that only works on a limited blade style, (and can scratch the sides).

Couple of threads (I'm sure there's others)...

T2 Initial Review

Question about new Tormek T2
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

While it pains me to say it, once again I must agree with CB. (Please know that this is all in fun.)

I like the T2 for its intended purpose. It is designed for working restsurant staff to be able to maintain their knives to a very acceptable level quickly and with a minimum of training. In my opinion, it achieves this objective. It is not intended as a substitute machine for skilled sharpeners. The range of knives the simplified jig can handle, while adequate for restaurant work, would feel cramped for an all around knife sharpener. Although I have a T2, my "weapon of choice" for sharpening knives is a conventional Tormek. I am a hobby sharpener working at home. If I owned a restaurant, I might feel differently. An experienced chef I know is quite happy sharpening his knives with his T4, as I am sure many are with the larger size Tormeks.

My advice, unless you fit the narrow T2 specialty, would be to opt for a T4 or T8.

Ken

Ken S

The problem with the T2 and T4, and, to a lesser extent, the T8, is that it is very difficult to view and use one before purchase. I have seen full size Tormek display models at dealers. (Notably, one still had the one piece honing attachment.) I have seen several T4s, still in the unopened boxes. The shows usually have just the T8, although I have occasionally seen a working T4 at shows. I have never seen a T2 at a show or dealer's store. I realize that the T2 has a different dealer chain. I still have not seen a T2 one could check out before purchase.

Would we purchase a vehicle without a test drive?

Ken

RichColvin

Ken makes a really great point, but to take it even further, a few months ago Ken & I demonstrated a Tormek (T2000) to a group of Woodturners for a sharpening class.  We gave hands on demonstrations with everyone who wished to do so. 

We had one gentleman who owned a Tormek and hadn't used it as he wasn't sure how to.  Ken & I we're able to get him going. 

So, as Ken has noted before, people also need good training, even if only videos. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I agree with Rich that people need good training. "If only with videos", in my opinion, implies that people have not found outstanding videos. Steve Bottorff's Sharpening School" DVD is an example of an outstanding video. Steve intended this to serve as a stand in when he retired from teaching. It succeeds very well. I have had the pleasure of studying privately with Steve; his DVD is a worthy "substitute teacher".

Tormek has produced videos of this caliber. The DVD in the Woodturner's Information Box is first rate, an excellent teaching aid. So is the online video with Alan Holtham explaining the DBS-22 drill bit jig. For someone like me who only uses this jig infrequently, rewatching Alan's video before each use gets me up to speed.

The other essential ingredient is regular practice. Whenever I do not dharpen for a while, I need some practice work with my "sharpening tools". I would not think of trying to sharpen an expensive knife or tool cold. I warm up with my 3/4" Blue Chip chisels or practice knives first.

I feel sorry for people who have a Tormek and feel inadequate to use it. More good instructional, preferably both printed and video, is needed.

Ken