News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cabinet

Started by Ricko, November 16, 2018, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricko

Looking at the cabinet to set the sharpener on under Tormek accessories, I have to question the price. Is the price of $800+ correct? Has anyone found a better deal on a cabinet through some other tool outlet like Harbor Freight etc. ?

Ken S

Ricko,

Here is the listing from Affinity Tool, the US importer. Checking with Affinity is the most reliable way I know to see the correct price for the continental US. If the price is higher than this, it is to cover "free shipping":

https://affinitytool.com/sharpening-station

I would look for a dealer who charges the Tormek price and then see what actual shipping is. Actually, the work station is one of the few Tormek products I would m ke a special effort to buy at a brick and mortar Tormek dealer. Because of the weight and dize, it can easily be dented. (I speak as someone whose work station was damaged during shipping.)

The Tormek Work Station is a quality product. If you are comparing it with other products for price, compare it with like quality, like Kennedy.

Ken

RickKrung

That cabinet looks like a nice storage area for accessories and likely a great place to store a Tormek machine.  As a sharpening workstation, it seems to be based on using it in a standing position working from the rear of the machine (vertical USB side), based on every Tormek video I've seen, especially the one by Alan Holtham demonstrating its features and use. 

Therein lies the problem for me.  I cannot stand and work for any substantial length of time.  I work on my T8 off the vertical USB, grinding into the blades (edge leading), but I do so from the front of the machine, while sitting.  Initially, I sat on a 20" high castered swivel chair with my T8 on an 18" high stool.  While doing the farmers markets, I used 28" high tables but sat on a 25" high stool.  Wootz uses what look to be about 18-20" high stools, but he does work from the rear.

I like working from the front.  I think I can see the contact of the knife edge with the blade better, as well as the character of the water flow along the edge.  I have yet to try grinding blades from the horizontal USB (edge trailing) and I am not sure I will like it as I will not be able to see the water flow patterns.  Also, working from the front for grinding means I never need to swivel the machine, so I no longer use the swivel base.

The Tormek workstation could work for me at its lowest height (29.5") but I like working from the castered chair.  I can scoot back and forth without having to stand up from sitting as I would from the 25" stool.  And with the stool, I have to kick it out of the way to move laterally and then pull it back under me to sit again. 

That is a long winded way of saying, figure out what works for you in how you want to or like to use whatever machine you have and then see if the workstation fits that method.  For me it doesn't really work that well and I can sure think of a lot better ways to spend $800 (yes, I know Affinity lists it at $725). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ricko

Thanks Rick. It sounds as though from your farmers market experience, that I should put you down for using a folding table? Any other suggested sources of mounting your machine?

RichColvin

Rick,

I am a woodturner primarily, so I stand at the lathe.  For me, standing at the Tormek (which I use often but in short bursts) is no problem.

I built my shop with a shelf that runs the perimeter along the wall.  The shelf where I keep my Tormek is waist high, and about 18" deep.  I've hung all my Tormek jigs and add-ons on the wall behind the Tormek, and they are easy to reach there (and easy to see if something is not in the proper place -- gotta stay 5S).  Also, on that same shelf are the traditional grinder with a BGM-100 adapter (for rough shaping tools, and sharpening carbide insert lathe tools and scrapers).  Also have  a grinder with Steve Bottorff's paper wheels next to that.

I think the drawers are nice, but don't want to add more to my already crowded floor space.  The Tormek has a place where it can be easily used.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: Ricko on November 17, 2018, 11:19:54 AM
Thanks Rick. It sounds as though from your farmers market experience, that I should put you down for using a folding table? Any other suggested sources of mounting your machine?

Yes, to other options.  My preferred "stand" is the 18" high stool, with the 20" high castered swivel chair.  I used the folding table at the farmers markets out of necessity, not out of preference.  So, No to putting me down for the folding table as my selected or preferred option.

My point was that I think you should get the Tormek machine you are thinking of, if you haven't already, and experiment with working heights, positions and standing vs sitting to find out what works  best for your, rather than just assuming the traditional standing behind the machine approach. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Ricko,

Rick and Rich have given you informative replies. Some of us stand primarily; some sit. "ideal height" is an individual preference, dictated by the sharpener's body and method of work. I happen to like the width and depth of the Tormek work station. It matches the Tormek work mat, which I really like. The work area seem right to me, and the rubber mat, although expensive, is an excellent accessory. If I ever built a work stand, it will be two otherwise lightweight stands with different heights. The Tormek could be placed on either, depending on the sharpening job. The spare stand would hold needed tools and things to be sharpened. I would want rubber mats for both stands.

I would suggest holding off before investing in an expensive stand. Get to know your Tormek and work preferences before deciding on a more permanent stand.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on November 17, 2018, 04:25:38 PM
...snip...
and the rubber mat, although expensive, is an excellent accessory. ...snip...

Ken

Now included as part of the stand...

"The RM-533 Rubber Work Mat Is Included for the top of the station"

RichColvin

Ken is right.  Invest in, and learn to use the Tormek. Don't worry:  there is plenty to invest in later if you wish.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

DelBoy

Hello! I'm new to the forum and have been setting up a SG 2000 that I bought from a friend. I want to use it for wood turning and knife sharpening. This forum is a great wealth of information!

My solution to the cabinet was purchased at Harbor Freight. ~$200 - more than 75% savings and it fits the tool perfectly.

Cheers!

Del

RichColvin

Del,

I put a dish drying mat below my Tormek grinder (also a SuperGrind 2000) to catch any water that did fall.  Don't need it much, but it is nice to protect the bench top where mine sits.  Might be worth getting for your's too so as to stave off rusting your tool box.

The one I got is like this :  https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Large-Silicone-Drying/dp/B004ZLAG54?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004ZLAG54

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Tormek users have devised many clever stands and mats for their Tormeks. Many of these are both practical and inexpensive. I am all for ingenuity and saving money. I like the mat Rich has suggested. I do not doubt that Del's chest works well. And, they certainly perform this function at considerably lower cost than the Tormek products. However, that does not mean that the Tormek products are overpriced. The Tormek Rubber Work Mat is a substantial piece of quality kit. I have used one for several years. It is not inexpensive, but, in my opinion, the product is certainly worth the cost. It is a nice working size and has an ample lip around it to catch even the worst spills. For anyone building a stand, I recommend designing it to fit the rubber work mat.

I have a Tormek Work Station, as well as a Kennedy rolling chest and several Kennedy machinist tool boxes. In determining the value of the Tormek Work Station, to be fair, it should be compared with like for like quality. Kennedy products are like quality. Here is a listing for a similar Kennedy chest:

http://buykennedy.com/product/21040-2/

I like the Tormek Work Station I purchased. I also use an old Workmate and a fifty year old child's table I rescued from the trash and put 2x4 legs on. All three continue to serve me well.

We all have different needs.

Ken