News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SG250

Started by Richard A, September 24, 2018, 07:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard A

I've purchased a couple of Tormek SG250 stones over the last few years. I've notice some differences between the two. Mainly, the 2nd one, which is what I am using now, does not wear down as quickly as the first one did, which is a good thing. Also, I am not having to true the stone constantly, also good.... However, I'm noticing that at the 250 grade, it doesn't appear to be removing steel as efficiently as the older one. I've been having some issues with getting a burr up and having to do a piece two or three times to get a really sharp edge. Has anyone experienced this situation or know about the consistency of the manufacturing process from stone to stone?? I've resurfaced the stone several times now with the 250 grader and I've been surprised at how smooth the surface feels against the metal. It feels more like the 1000 grit. Thoughts, suggestions???

cbwx34

Quote from: Richard A on September 24, 2018, 07:37:59 PM
I've purchased a couple of Tormek SG250 stones over the last few years. I've notice some differences between the two. Mainly, the 2nd one, which is what I am using now, does not wear down as quickly as the first one did, which is a good thing. Also, I am not having to true the stone constantly, also good.... However, I'm noticing that at the 250 grade, it doesn't appear to be removing steel as efficiently as the older one. I've been having some issues with getting a burr up and having to do a piece two or three times to get a really sharp edge. Has anyone experienced this situation or know about the consistency of the manufacturing process from stone to stone?? I've resurfaced the stone several times now with the 250 grader and I've been surprised at how smooth the surface feels against the metal. It feels more like the 1000 grit. Thoughts, suggestions???

You might get some users here who have experienced this... but I would email Tormek Support directly, and see if they can tell you.  (They don't monitor the forum that much).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Interesting observation, Richard. I have not seen this mentioned previously. I urge other long time members to post their observations. I will also be interested in what support says. Please share their reply.

Unfortunately, I must agree with CB that Sweden does not follow the forum often.

Ken

RichColvin

Richard,

My first thought is that you are not wearing it as fast as you've gotten better at the light touch that works so much better.

As to why it sharpens slower, I ask if you got a new grading stone with your new grindstone.  I've heard it stated that they should both be replaced together.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Richard A

Thanks all - This is my third SG250 stone. The other two were after the original stone that came with the T7 wore down to the nub. Over the course of that time I've sharpened thousands of knives and other things through my business. While I like to think I'm still improving, I don't think that's the answer to the more wear vs less wear. However, I haven't heard about what Rich brought up about replacing the grading stone. I thought the course side had a very long lifespan. I think I might put the truing tool across it and see what that does. I got a customer complaint the other week which is extremely rare for me. So I sharpened my own kitchen knives on this stone and I'm not that happy with them so I need to figure out what's going on.

Ken S

Richard,

This is a situation where you should definitely contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se). Depending on how long you have had this stone, it may still be under warranty. Also, based on what you have said, the stone may be defective. If so, Tormek may want to replace it.

It is worth raising the issue with support. Please post the result.

Ken

Ken S

Rich,

Where did you hear that the stone grader should be replaced with every grinding wheel replacement? I have not heard or read that before. If that is the case, it should be noted in the handbook and the instructions included with the grinding wheels.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I can't remember where I read that.  It could be in my old age that I'm not as keen as I need to be.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich, At the risk of being the bearer of bad news, I can tell you from personal experience that keenness does not improve with age.  :)

Ken

Richard A

Hi All - just wanted to update you on this issue. I did contact support@tormek.se and received no reply. I decided to use the truing device very lightly across the wheel on a couple of passes. The wheel was not out of round so I just wanted to make it courser, grazing over it to see if it would remove steel more like normal. Of all the many times I've trued one of these stones, I've never seen it turn into a slurry mess quite like this. See attached photos. Of course, this type of slurry will be in the trough after truing the stone or in my case, after sharpening a couple of hundred items on Saturday. But I've never seen it start coating the wheel with pasty clumps or completely covering the diamond truing point. Something is up with this stone. AND, I got a second complaint on Saturday on a couple of knives I sharpened. In the last 4 or 5 years of my sharpening biz, I've gotten one complaint. With this new stone, I received two in the last month. I will contact the the vendor about this and try tormek again. Please let me know if anyone experiences something similar.

Ken S

Richard,

I am surprised that you have not received a reply from support. I know that they are presently short handed. I sent just emailed this topic to support and requested an answer.

Unless you receive another answer, I would tell support that your wheel is defective and that you want a replacement.

Keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Richard A on October 01, 2018, 12:12:14 AM
...snip...In the last 4 or 5 years of my sharpening biz, I've gotten one complaint. With this new stone, I received two in the last month. ...snip...

Without question, you seem to have a funky (defective) grindstone. 

You mentioned you sharpened your own kitchen knives and didn't like the result and there are the two complaints above.  What is the nature of what you didn't like and what were the two complaints about and how do they relate to the stone?  Is it the grind finish of the bevel?  Is the burr different or how well it is honed away?  Have you examined any of it under substantial magnification? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.