News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My new FVB for cleavers and controlled-angle honing - Android available, iPhone

Started by wootz, June 02, 2018, 12:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

Since I retire after tomorrow maybe I will put mechanical engineering skills (rusty) back to work and see what the local college has in the way of 3D printing equipment.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

Best of luck with your retirement. I have been retired for ten years, and have never been bored.
We could use some 3D printing skills!

Keep posting!

Ken

wootz

Free iPhone and iPad applets are in the App Store - search for FVB Angle Setter.

Free Android smartphone & tablet applets can be installed from the Google Play - search for FVB Angle Setter.

Windows and MacBook software will be given to you upon the FVB shipment - this package also includes the Android applet in case you cannot find it in the Google Play on your smartphone/tablet.

Ken S

Wootz,

I just downloaded it onto my ipad through the apple app store. Thanks!

Ken

van

Good morning,
although I have been writing for some years I never wrote on the forum
because I only have to learn. And thanks to you I'm learning a lot. Many doubts have disappeared, but others are born going forward.
These days I am trying the Vadim program and I am fully satisfied with the results found using the application on tablet and on mobile.
I just wanted to make my modest contribution, but I know that Vadim doesn't need it, for an application that makes us all happier and faster at work.  :)
Thanks for the attention.
Kindly yours

wootz

Appreciate your post, Van. It is important to know, because Italy uses comma as a decimal separator.
Your devices are Android, aren't they?
Today I should be getting confirmation from Germany and Austria that the applet processes well the comma decimal separator on iPhone and iPad. We had issues with comma before, but our developer has fixed that.

van

Quote from: wootz on April 07, 2019, 02:30:34 AM
Appreciate your post, Van. It is important to know, because Italy uses comma as a decimal separator.
Your devices are Android, aren't they?
Today I should be getting confirmation from Germany and Austria that the applet processes well the comma decimal separator on iPhone and iPad. We had issues with comma before, but our developer has fixed that.

Yes, my devices are Android and your program works fine.
I don't think that for an application of this kind it makes a difference to use the comma or the dot in dividing the decimals.
By custom, we use the comma for the decimals and the dot to divide the hundreds (120.75 - 1.200,75)
"see use the Google translator put the dot after the number one and it is automatically converted to a comma"
Kindly yours

John_B

I downloaded the apps yesterday. I have one on my desktop upstairs and plan to make a chart with common angles and distances. I installed the other 2 apps on my iPad and will use them in my basement shop. I am really looking forward to honing with a controlled angle. My freehand results range from good to extremely good at times but I want reputability. For now I am patiently awaiting on the arrival of my FVB.

I am also thinking about getting a couple of additional leather wheels and using even finer grit diamond spray possibly 0.5 micron. I will be doing this in steps to insure that I am achieving the best results with each. I also want to digest the deburring book before I start expanding my kit.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ledpipes

Saturday morning, drank some good coffee, ordered the FVB, and grabbed the angle grinding app and FVB app for my android at google play. My future feels edgy 😁

John_B

Mine arrived yesterday. I want to read through the book before I use it though. I had misinterpreted Wootz's method of honing at a little bit larger angle than the grind. He squared me away in another thread but I want to go in with a better understanding of the edge finishing.

Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

"Chance favors the prepared mind." Enjoy the sharpening journey; there are inroads yet to be discovered.
Keep us posted.

Ken

van

Quote from: john.jcb on April 14, 2019, 03:15:34 PM
Mine arrived yesterday. I want to read through the book before I use it though. I had misinterpreted Wootz's method of honing at a little bit larger angle than the grind. He squared me away in another thread but I want to go in with a better understanding of the edge finishing.

I also have problems understanding Vadim's method on the final polishing angle. Yes, the lack of knowledge of steels plays a fundamental role .... at least for me. :(
Kindly yours

RichColvin

Venanzio,

Wootz' book & his web site explain them well.  My recommendation is to follow his tested & proven approach.  I did today in preparation for Easter.  I'm always amazed at the results.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

wootz

Quote from: van on April 14, 2019, 08:03:35 PM
I also have problems understanding Vadim's method on the final polishing angle. Yes, the lack of knowledge of steels plays a fundamental role .... at least for me. :(

Van, you are not alone... There are more people who beat their brains out with deburring knives, than those who readily grasp our concept.
I never believe somebody on his bare word, and do not want you to simply take my word for it, and my book gives all the facts to draw your own conclusions.
We've done a huge volume of experimental sharpening in our workshop to verify this deburring concept.
We are not guessing any more, we know the best way.
The more we learn about edge stability, the more we stress the need for a "slow and cold" sharpening as opposed to "fast and hot", and the Tormek machines are in the center of all our sharpening and deburring.

So you've set an edge, deburred it but it does not score well on the sharpness tester. Or if you do not have the tester, you are simply not happy with how the edge roughens the material it cuts or does not hold.
When deburring, it has become trivial for us to turn a 400-600 BESS edge into 40-60 BESS by 3-4 more honing passes done the right way.

To repeat yourself the key points of our research, one would need some sort of a sharpness tester to quantify sharpness, and plenty of time and resources. But it is not needed. You do not need to know how the engine works to drive your car.
The book and our website have ready sharpening protocols for people who happen not to have background knowledge to put them together themselves.
Adapt/translate these protocols to the equipment you have and start getting a longer lasting very sharp edge.

van

Kindly yours