News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

mounting two wheels on a Tormek (new KG video)

Started by Ken S, April 02, 2020, 04:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Roger M.

It certainly opens up possibilities for the T-8 to become quite a bit more of a production machine for commercial sharpening scenarios.

But you still need that second machine with the paper wheel on it to hit the target sharpness that Vadim aims for.

BeSharp

Normally, I'd worry about the additional stress on the nylon bearing from hanging a heavy wheel that much farther out from it. But if that Kiwi sharpener has done this for two years with no ill effect...hmm, I wonder what Tormek's official position is on doing this?

Ken S

Roger,
This does not introduce a new need for a second machine. It does make the grinding operations more efficient.

BeSharp,
Your concern occurred to me as well. I would suggest more frequent monitoring of possible nylon bushing wear. Even if this might shorten bushing life slightly, it seems a small price for the improved efficiency.

Ken

Roger M.

Quote from: Ken S on April 02, 2020, 05:42:57 PM

This does not introduce a new need for a second machine. It does make the grinding operations more efficient.
Ken, I made this note based on what Vadim said at the end of his video, which was that he always finished on a paper wheel machine when he used this dual-stone method.
I suspect he does this because the second fine stone still doesn't do a proper job of honing as would the leather wheel or the paper wheel.

Ken S

Roger, I agree. The second wheel is an important intermediary step.

Among my already too long list of future projects is trying a felt or paper wheel on the grinding wheel side of the Tormek.

Ken