News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Photo Upload Issue

Started by RickKrung, October 30, 2017, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 06, 2017, 03:30:29 PM
I'll try and pay more attention... but in thinking about this, I have to adjust most pictures I take, since the file size is too large to post the original photo... so maybe that's why I don't see it.

As a test you could take a photo that is being rotated in the forum, and try uploading it somewhere else (even email it to yourself), to see if it rotates in that instance too.

Almost always, I modify photos to crop and resize to 640x480 (or 480x640) for posting.  Lately, as I have been using my iPhone for taking photos, I have sent them as smaller sizes, rather than previously sending full sized and then modify/reduce on the computer (Win 10). 

I've been uploading hundreds of photos to all sorts of forums, since 2000, and have never before run into this behavior, so, in effect the suggested "test" has already been conducted.  The Tormek forum monkey is the sole instance of said behavior.  It isn't a big deal.  I'll just watch any photos I post here and modify them when it happens, or modify them before posting so they are always landscape. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: brettgrant99 on November 06, 2017, 05:14:52 PM
I have noticed this issue with some of the other boards that I am on.  It didn't really show up until I started using my cell phone camera.  Never had the issue with my Canon camera.  I wonder if this is a toolchain issue.  What I mean is that I have a iPhone, iPad, and iMac.  The pictures are always oriented correctly.  It isn't until I move the photo over to a Windows or a Linux server that they are "rotated".  I suspect that Apple knows what all of their equipment is using (which settings, etc), but that it may not be consistent when moving to other platforms or service.

I am interested in a lot of different things, and was curious about it when I first noticed it.  There are quite a few different settings once you start using EXIF data.  I wonder what happens when you strip off all of the EXIF data.  Maybe now that it is getting cold and dark out, I will look into a little more.

Curious.  I've never run into the rotation behavior and as I just posted, I've been posting tons of photos for 17 years, mostly all modified to crop and resize.  99% have been modified using ACDSee Photo Manager, but I do have PhotoShop available.  I've never heard of stripping the EXIF data.  How is that done?

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Just outta curiosity... when you crop a photo, do you crop both directions, or do you crop just one, and let the app maintain the ratio?  (I do the latter).

(I do love a mystery).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 06, 2017, 07:30:26 PM
Just outta curiosity... when you crop a photo, do you crop both directions, or do you crop just one, and let the app maintain the ratio?  (I do the latter).

(I do love a mystery).

Depends on the subject and how it is framed.  I do not do the latter described above.  Pretty much always crop away non-informational or unwanted (messy bench showing in the corner, etc.) areas to focus on the subject and then resize to 640x480 or 480x640.  There have been instances where I was just lazy and didn't do either and just posted. 

Rick

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

brettgrant99

Quote from: RickKrung on November 06, 2017, 07:07:16 PM
Quote from: brettgrant99 on November 06, 2017, 05:14:52 PM
I have noticed this issue with some of the other boards that I am on.  It didn't really show up until I started using my cell phone camera.  Never had the issue with my Canon camera.  I wonder if this is a toolchain issue.  What I mean is that I have a iPhone, iPad, and iMac.  The pictures are always oriented correctly.  It isn't until I move the photo over to a Windows or a Linux server that they are "rotated".  I suspect that Apple knows what all of their equipment is using (which settings, etc), but that it may not be consistent when moving to other platforms or service.

I am interested in a lot of different things, and was curious about it when I first noticed it.  There are quite a few different settings once you start using EXIF data.  I wonder what happens when you strip off all of the EXIF data.  Maybe now that it is getting cold and dark out, I will look into a little more.

Curious.  I've never run into the rotation behavior and as I just posted, I've been posting tons of photos for 17 years, mostly all modified to crop and resize.  99% have been modified using ACDSee Photo Manager, but I do have PhotoShop available.  I've never heard of stripping the EXIF data.  How is that done?

Rick
I've been posting pictures since 2001, so pretty close to your 17 years.  I didn't notice the issue until earlier this year on a kite forum that I frequent.  What had changed for me was that I was using my iPhone and my windows7 computer rather than my old Canon digital camera.  Your search found a link that was similar to what I was trying to say.

I guess a question for Rick would be what type of camera/computer/OS combination is he using?

As for the EXIF data, well another search leads to: what is exif data and how to remove it

Brett

RickKrung

Quote from: brettgrant99 on November 06, 2017, 08:38:38 PM

...snip...

I guess a question for Rick would be what type of camera/computer/OS combination is he using?

...snip...

Brett

Good info on the EXIF data.  I haven't looked to see if the photos that didn't orient correctly had something different there.

Almost all of the photos posted here have been taken with a 5SE iPhone iOS 11, emailed to my Win 10 PC and edited in ACDSee Photo Manager 12 where they are cropped usually and almost always resized to 640 maximum pixels on the longer side.  The digital camera that is sometimes used is a Ricoh WG-4 GPS 14 mega pixel.  Images are transferred to the PC from the memory card and the rest is the same.

Rick

RickKrung

Quote from: RickKrung on November 06, 2017, 09:23:09 PM
...snip...

Good info on the EXIF data.  I haven't looked to see if the photos that didn't orient correctly had something different there.

...snip...

I checked.  The Orientation property is either "Right Upper" for Portrait or "Upper Left" for Landscape (curious difference in syntax) and is not an editable field in the software I'm using. 

Also curious and likely the culprit, is that when I downsized the original, which was Portrait and the O field was Right Upper, the O field in the downsized image had changed to Upper Left - meaning it would be displayed in Landscape.  I did not change the orientation in the downsizing process, but apparently the software did.  I just repeated the process and got the same result. 

Adding to the curiousness, I just checked the EXIF Orientation field in original images taken with my Ricoh digital camera.  The wording is "Left Lower" for Portrait and "Upper Left" for Landscape.  I tried a resize on a portrait image to 480x640 and the O property changed from LL to UL.  Go figure. 

Rick