News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Photo Upload Issue

Started by RickKrung, October 30, 2017, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I'm having trouble uploading photos in a reply.  Getting an error message that says the attachments didn't pass security checks.  Going to try it here on a new topic post. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

The image posted above is a screen shot of the error message, not the photos I'm having trouble with.  I tried posting them in a clean, new thread but had the same error message.  Why can I post a screen shot and not the photos?  Same image format. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I have alerted Tormek IT in Sweden.

Ken

cbwx34

Make sure you're within the size limit restrictions of the forum, and if you are, you might try renaming the photo, and see if that solves it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 30, 2017, 03:00:18 PM
Make sure you're within the size limit restrictions of the forum, and if you are, you might try renaming the photo, and see if that solves it.

There are two photos.  Sizes: 121kb and 123kb.  The names were not terribly complex but I tried renaming them to "Photo 1" and Photo 2", but these were rejected also.  So, I am at a loss, as it seems they are within the size limit and names as simple as can be. 

I'll try them again now. 

Nope, same error. 

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

Frustrating!! I just uploaded a photo from my ipad. The ipad and the forum don't normally play nice with photos, however this one flew after I resized it. Sorry I can not offer any good advice.

Ken

cbwx34

Sorry... I got this error once, I thought renaming it solved it.

Only other problem I've had is when I updated to iOS11.  It uses a new HEIC format, which wouldn't upload.  I had to convert it to a jpg.  (But I don't remember getting a security error with that).

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 30, 2017, 05:10:41 PM
Sorry... I got this error once, I thought renaming it solved it.

Only other problem I've had is when I updated to iOS11.  It uses a new HEIC format, which wouldn't upload.  I had to convert it to a jpg.  (But I don't remember getting a security error with that).

My photos were JPG to start with, and named quite simply: Photo 1 and Photo 2.  Tried posting from my iPad, but could not even post a reply, let alone photos.  I could swear I posted a photo before.  I've replied to a Tormek IT guy, asking to have the photos to examine.  Maybe that will get somewhere.

Thanks,

Rick

cbwx34

I would say, send it to me and I'll try, but I'm not brave enough to download a photo you're getting a "security error" on.  :-\

RickKrung

I just learned something about how this forum monkey handles uploaded photos.  Whether the photo is landscape or portrait oriented, the monkey always, only displays them landscape.  So anything that is portrait is rotated 90 deg.  and displayed with the long edge horizontal. 

I posted a few minutes ago about sharpening a HSS lathe turning cutter and all were rotated.  I modified the post to delete the photos and re-upload a new set that had been cropped to be landscape oriented and they now look right. 

And I didn't have any issues uploading them as I had with others, even though they had been modified on my computer to resize them as well as re-oriented. 

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

I think there is more to this story. I have successfully loaded a few photos in vertical (portrait) mode.

Ken

cbwx34

I'll 2nd what Ken said... I've loaded photos both ways, and never had the forum rotate them.

RickKrung

Guess I'm just lucky ;) 

Just posted another photo and the same thing happened.  Quickly removed it and replaced it with a modified image.

Rick

cbwx34

I'll try and pay more attention... but in thinking about this, I have to adjust most pictures I take, since the file size is too large to post the original photo... so maybe that's why I don't see it.

As a test you could take a photo that is being rotated in the forum, and try uploading it somewhere else (even email it to yourself), to see if it rotates in that instance too.

brettgrant99

I have noticed this issue with some of the other boards that I am on.  It didn't really show up until I started using my cell phone camera.  Never had the issue with my Canon camera.  I wonder if this is a toolchain issue.  What I mean is that I have a iPhone, iPad, and iMac.  The pictures are always oriented correctly.  It isn't until I move the photo over to a Windows or a Linux server that they are "rotated".  I suspect that Apple knows what all of their equipment is using (which settings, etc), but that it may not be consistent when moving to other platforms or service.

I am interested in a lot of different things, and was curious about it when I first noticed it.  There are quite a few different settings once you start using EXIF data.  I wonder what happens when you strip off all of the EXIF data.  Maybe now that it is getting cold and dark out, I will look into a little more.