News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a variation on sanding the drive wheel

Started by Ken S, September 29, 2016, 02:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have never had a problem with my Tormek drive wheel slipping. However, I do know of cases where the slipping was corrected by lightly sanding the rubber drive wheel.

The windshield wipers on my car have been noisy for some time. With 86,000 miles, that is no shame. Knowing the Tormek rubber drive wheel fix, I decided to try lightly sanding my windshiels wipers. I am pleased to post that they are now much improved. They are not quite like new, but are much quieter to the point where I have postponed replacing them.

I am not a mechanic. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Ken

grepper

Wiper blades get a lot of oil and road crud* build up on them and need to be cleaned.  Try vinegar, alcohol, and bug and tar remover with a rag.  Maybe all three.  You will be amazed at how much crap* comes off.

The rubber gets smushed* against the glass so the blade is bent on one side against the glass and smears over the glass rather than wiping it.  If possible, pull the rubber pieces out of the blades and reinstall them so that what was the outer end is now the inner end.

The surface of wiper blades needs to be really smooth to wipe effectively, and sealed from the goop*, gunk*, and glop* they are exposed to prevent deterioration of the blade.  I would guess that sanding would break down the surface of the rubbery blade stuff* and shorten the life of the blade.  Just a guess however.  Let us know how long the sanding fix works!

I'm always shocked at how much wiper blades can cost!

* Technical terms.

Ken S

Good thoughts, Grepper. I have had the idea for a while, but thought I should try it before posting. You may be right about the sanding shortening the life of the wiper blades. I used a worn not very coarse sanding sponge and only used it lightly. I will try using white vinegar on a rag. I will post long term results.

Assuming we learn from life experience, this forum gives us access to much more experience than our own.

Thanks, Mark (Grepper).

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Do you use an automatic car wash?

Better to hand wax, then to get wax on the blades or the glass, then putting a coating on the blade.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thought, but not a problem with me. My car gets regular oil changes, tire rotation, and mtce if needed. Basic wash only when really needed, but no wax.

My Tormek, since it lasts longer, gets more particular care.

Ken

Rem

This is just so wrong ......   I didn't get any wipers with my Tormek.  Should I be concerned about this ?????      R    ;)

Ken S

Rem,

You probably received the Canadian version. No wipers, but it should have come with straps for Sargeant Preston to tie it to his dog sled. :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on September 29, 2016, 02:49:28 AM
Does anyone have a similar experience?

It's an old trick, Ken, to use the strike strip on a book of matches to freshen up a wiper blade. It works if the blades are pretty bad. It doesn't last long, but it's a good way to get yourself out of a jamb.

My recommendation would be to buy new wiper blades at your next convenience. Keeping the windshield waxed makes the wipers work better and last longer.
Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

Funny how the web site went from a Tormek user site to a windshield wiper site. Okay with me, the site costs us nothing and if windshield wipers are the topic du jour then so be it. Personally, I love it when the people at the auto part stores install the wipers for you. Batteries? I had to help the lady pro install mine. I am serious, I knew my battery was bad and went to a store to have them install a new one. The lady could not figure it out so I did get my hands dirty.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Rob

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 01:06:36 AM
Good thought, but not a problem with me. My car gets regular oil changes, tire rotation, and mtce if needed. Basic wash only when really needed, but no wax.

My Tormek, since it lasts longer, gets more particular care.

Ken

But then your Tormek costs more than most cars so I guess that's reasonable :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Point well taken, Rob.  ;)

The dealer told me the gold frame would never rust or chip......

Herman, you are quite correct. Heavy rain yesterday made me realize my brilliant repair is already a little iffy. I will replace the wipers; they are a safety item.

Jeff, you are also correct in stating that this topic is less than totally Tormek. Although the original inspiration was an authorized Tormek maintenance technique, the topic is definitely not Tormek. If members wish, I can easily remove the topic, or, we can just let it sink into pixel oblivion.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
let it sink into pixel oblivion.

Ken
Pixel oblivion Ken, what's wrong with a little fun?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Rem

I accept full responsibility for having diverted a purely Tormekian topic into nonsensical oblivion.  I'm bad for that.  I was a moderator on a motorcycle blog for a couple years and I frequently used humor (or something like it) to divert testosterone-charged encounters into more pleasant discourse.  You boys seem a most peaceful lot and these injections of non-Tormekian silliness seem unnecessary.  Force of habit.  I shall cease such nonsense forthwith (mostly).  Sometimes I just can't help myself so I beg your indulgence.  If I get out of hand, just give me a good verbal whack and I'll smarten up. 

The Old Bear (my lovely wife) is off visiting a friend in Edmonton and I'm likely getting a bit rowdy.  Don't let this get around, but yesterday, after vacuuming and mopping the upstairs, I didn't wash dishes.  I let them sit in the sink overnight.   

Hey ...  we all have a wild side, ok ???    I digress.   Going away now.  You boys have a good day, and let's be careful out there.  R   :-X

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Point well taken, Rob.  ;)

The dealer told me the gold frame would never rust or chip......

I thought you bought a stainless steel vehicle. ;)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Wrong guy. My Equinox is just standard issue GM metal.  :)

Ken