News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tormek T2 DWF 200

Started by bobl, September 03, 2016, 11:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Jan,

Would a wider Jig like the SVM-140 be better for the knife in the 2d picture? I have an older SVM-100 that I use on similar knives at home.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I have an SVM-100 that I use for sharpening my six inch slicer knife with the kenjig. I use the newer SVM-140 with my eight inch chef's knife. The regular SVM-45 is quite capable of handling either of these knives. Using three jigs allows me to leave the jig "pre set" for the knife type and almost completely eliminates the need for jig adjustment.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

The Victorinox in the second picture, is it a flexible blade or a stiff blade.  The longer jig works for the flexible knives, but in JF video, he uses the short 45 jig, for a 13" stiff blade knife.  Boning knives like Jan's second picture, are sold as both flexible and stiff blade.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Rich, Ken and SADW thanks for your responses.  :)
The blade of the Victorinox knife in the second picture is stiff, so I have used the short knife jig.

I have considered the long knife jig also. My idea was that this jig may grip the blade more firmly because of larger static friction between the jig and the blade. 

Finally, my major problem was not a weak jig's grip, but blade centering with respect to the jig axes. In my understanding the knife jig was designed for blades with parallel sides. When the sides are not parallel, the blade tappers towards the edge, than the centered blade has only limited contact with the jaws of the jig. Such a blade mount is unsteady, however I used it.

When one side of the tapering blade rests on the fixed jaw than the edge is not centered with respect to the jig axes. The consequence is well visible difference in bevel height between sides.  :-\

It is probably better to use a suitable (Herman type) platform in this situation.  :)

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

This makes me wish I had better luck at thrift stores.  Some of my "practice" knives were bought inexpensively, but I can't get over the if it isn't broken habit, to dull them, to sharpen them.

You can also vary your pressure on  the sides, to adjust for some of the offset tapering.  I was annoyed at one I did, and extra passes on one side, and lower pressure on the other, improved that.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Yes, more pressure helps in many cases.  :) In my case, when the jig grips only 2 or 3 mm of the blade which is even more wedge-shaped then I always try to apply as small pressure as possible to avoid blade loosening.  ;)

Jan

bobl

Stig, are you killing my dream here!!!??
you are saying that I can not use the T2 jig on my T7.?
If not, I would like to get in touch with Tormek to buy the T2 machine for use over here in U.K.
I have tried to clock on the link but nothing happens.
I have also left a message on the european supplier and as of date, had no reply.
Help!!!!
Cheers.
Bob.

bobl

Stig,
are you sure about the T2 jig not fitting with the T7 machine with the T2 wheel ???
Bob

bobl

nothing from Brimark, however, I have been able to get to a french web site.
It has the T2
Happy days.
Price ain't too bad .
I still have to find out the price of replacement wheels or re-plated wheels before I can purchase.

So it is still a waiting game.
Arrrghhh.
Bob

Ken S

Bob,

Living in the US, I am not that familiar with European geography. With the new chunnel, is it possible for you to drive to the store in France and take a look at the T2?

Ken

Stickan

Bobl,
I sure am killing your dream ;-) The mounted jig on the T-2 cannot be used on any other Tormek machine.

Best,
Stig

Ken S

What I have not read is any evidence stating that knives sharpened on the diamond wheel of a T2 are sharper in a useful way than the same knives sharpened on an SG or an SB. Nor have I read that sharpening with the T2 is faster for a skilled operator.

The jig on the T2 does look clever and well suited for relatively unskilled operators. Being curious and a Tormek junkie, I would probably buy one if it would work with the conventional Tormeks. I would not expect it to work any better than the regular knife jigs, nor do I expect enough faster jig set up time than I can accomplish with the kenjig or traditional Tormek technique to warrant the cost of the jig.

We live in a global era. We can purchase or sell almost anywhere on the planet. Bob, if the T2 is your dream, just order one from the cutlery dealer in one of the three countries. If you do enough business with it to require resurfacing the diamond wheel in the future, you will probably have earned enough to buy a second T2 and a new van. Not a bad situation; best of luck.

Ken

bobl

OK
What about using the T2 wheel on a T7 machine with no water to sharpen knives but with the usual jigs and angle master??

Ken S

Is there a reason why you are not considering a CZN wheel?

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on December 12, 2016, 10:01:46 PM
Is there a reason why you are not considering a CZN wheel?

Ken

Probably the wife would kill him if he bought a (C)ubic (Z)irconia (N)ockoff. ;D
8)