News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New SVD-186 Gouge Jig review

Started by Ken S, February 24, 2016, 01:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My new SVD-186 Gouge Jig arrived today. I was immediately impressed. It looked and felt solid. I have long believed the combination of the TTS-100 and the SVD-185 was the most versatile and well designed combination of a Tormek accessory and jig. The new SVD-186 leaves the SVD-185 in the dust.

The new jig is made of zink. It weighs 346 grams (12.2 oz). The older aluinum jig weighs 202 grams (7.2 oz).

I found the swing adjustment clumsy with the older jig. It was adequate, but a bit of a juggling act with an Allen wrench. Mine had also started to strip out somewhat.  It also tended to slip occasionally. The new jig is a real improvement in this area.The old tightening mechanism has been replaced with a larger, plastic knob. Even better, there are ratchet stops for the numbers indicating amount of swing. There is no longer any slippage. This alone would merit replacing the older jig in  my opinion. However, there is more.

The lower sleeve which attaches the jig to the Universal Support has been shortened 12mm (1/2"). This makes the new jig more convenient to use with the T3/4. I had noticed the older jig was a bit constrained at the end of movement range with the T4. The change is welcome.

The tool clamp is much improved. I never cared for the combination brass and plastic arrangement on the SVD-185. The new clamp is all zink, and holds any tools in the range very securely. Rob asked about holding a ¼" detail gouge. I don't have one, but the new clamp held my diminutive 7/16" Thompson detail gouge quite solidly.

The new jig will hold larger tools. I can see that the clamping area for tools is definitely larger (36mm instead of 25mm).  I was concerned that the extra capacity might come at the expense of secure holding of smaller tools. My concerns were unfounded; the SVD-186 holds my smallest gouge quite securely, a real improvement over the older model. I asked Rob, our forum turner, about larger gouges. Neither of us were aware of any bowl gouges too large to fit in the 25mm opening. I searched further and found that Henry Taylor does manufacture Peter Child Superflute bowl gouge in ¾" and 1" flute sizes. If  you happen to use these very large gouges, your prayers have been answered.

In summation, I think the SVD-186 represents a substantial improvement over the SVD-185. For active turners who already have the older jig, I think the new model will prove a good investment. The cost is $97 US. I have seen the older jigs reduced in price by $20 US. Frankly, I do not think that is enough of a discount to pass up the improvements of the new jig. I plan to keep my older jig only because as moderator, I may need to refer to it for future forum topics.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I have a bowl gouge that has become so short that I had no more room in the fluted area to hold the tool with disc my SVD-185 (it doesn't work trying to hold a round shaft).  I have taken the recommendation from Tormek to flatten the shaft between the handle and the flutes, giving me a flat surface for the SVD-185's disc to take purchase. 

I was looking at the SVD-186, but the curved bottom on the disc (the part that screws down to hold the tool) was a question to me.  Would the SVD-186 work with such a flattened surface ?

Rich

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I'm not certain. However, I tried putting a short 3/8" bevel bench chisel in the 186. It held the chisel quite securely with the bevel both up and down. So, I think so. I think it would be worth a chance.

Keep us posted.

Ken

ps I'm sure you could tell from my review; I really like the new jig.

Ken S

I just found the newly posted Alan Holtham video on the SVD-186 posted on tormek.com. It is very well done; I recommend it.

Ken

Rob

Thanks for the review Ken. Most useful. I can't wait to get my mits on one :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

I've just had chance to review Alan Holtham's promotional footage and it looks absolutely superb.  Well done to Tormek for fixing, as far as I can tell, every single niggle with the 185.  An exceptional bit of design work and exactly why Tormek deserve their hard won reputation for quality.  I'm certain the new improved locking nut will stop my 1/4" gouges from rocking which means I can return to the Tormek for all my gouges because it does give the best finish and the most precision with respect to repeatability

I'll be ordering one tomorrow :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

Please post your thoughts on the new jig. I don't think you will be disappointed!

By the way, I found that continental gouges are made in larger sizes. That may be the reason for the larger capacity.

Enjoy the new jig!

Ken

Rob

Yes I was looking at the Sorby continental chisels just today.  They do range much larger than standard British and American sizes.  They also have a uniform thickness and the wings are typically swept back so I bet they're great for long flowing curves on big vessels like vases or table lamps.  I'd like to try one at some point.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

I started turning with "continental gouges" in 1962. My grandfather purchased a set of nine Sears carbon steel turning tools in the 1930s. The set included three gouges, quarter inch, half inch and three quarter inch (6,12, and 19mm). These were flatter gouges, the garden variety at the time (English idiom for the most common type). He turned legs for the chairs he made.

When I had a week long turning class with Ernie Conover twenty years ago, I purchased half  inch Sorby bowl and spindle gouges from Ernie. I started the class using the largest gouge the kit (the 3/4") as a roughing gouge, as I always had done. Ernie encouraged me to gradually flatten the profile of the "roughing gouge" each time I resharpened it. Ernie also lent me his large 1 1/4" Sorby roughing gouge. I was immediately hooked on the big tool.

I thought the older turning set was obsolete. High speed steel has certainly surpassed carbon steel for turning tools. I like the deeper shape of the modern gouges. It is nice to learn that my old gouges are now "continental gouges" and may have useful applications as well as sentimental value.

Looking at the News Archive tab on tormek.com (which is sadly incomplete and in need of updating), I see that the SVD-180 gouge jig was updated in 2002 to include the ability to sharpen insert cutters and renamed the SVD-185. Tormek introduced the SVD-180 around twenty years ago. At the time it was a remarkable advance. In my opinion, the new SVD-186 replacement jig is an equally remarkable improvement in several areas. I consider the new clamp design the most significant improvement. The new jig setting mechanism eliminates a couple problems. The new jig is more T4 friendly. The larger capacity makes using larger continental gouges possible. The use of zink instead of aluminum makes the whole jig more precise. I suspect the zink technology may not have been available when the original jig was designed.

In my opinion, with no insider information, I believe most of the Tormek jigs will be redesigned in the next few years to incorporate this zink technology. The older present day jigs will continue to work as well as they ever have. The new jigs will work better.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: RichColvin on February 24, 2016, 07:57:00 PM
I have a bowl gouge that has become so short that I had no more room in the fluted area to hold the tool with disc my SVD-185 (it doesn't work trying to hold a round shaft).  I have taken the recommendation from Tormek to flatten the shaft between the handle and the flutes, giving me a flat surface for the SVD-185's disc to take purchase. 

I couldn't find the area on the forum where this flattening of the shaft was discussed, so I've added them below.  The first one shows how my first bowl gouge has been shorted over the years, and it is positioned beside the one I just purchased.

The second one shows the SVD-185 attached to the flattened shaft.  You can see how the SVD-185 has to grab the shaft above the flutes.

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Rob

the grinding of a flat spot is a neat trick.  It doesn't fix the challenge of very small gouges though although if you remove the black rubber washer you can insert the brass t piece along the axis of the flute and that can work.  My problem was that doing that every time you wanted to switch from say a 1/2" gouge to a 1/4" was too much like hard work so the new 186 seems to be a really serious improvement.  I really must get one ordered!
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rich,

I believe Tormekers who already have the SVD-185 would be pleased enough with the innovations of the new SVD-186 to feel it was a good purchase.

Ken

tdacon

I had no sooner ordered from Woodcraft, and received, an SVD-185 gouge jig to replace the ten-year-old previous version I got with my used Supergrind 2000 than I read Ken's review and discovered that the 186 now replaces it! Today I got an RMA from Woodcraft so that I can send the 185 back, and will soon be replacing it with a 186. Not because I've got any tools that need that wide of a jig - my widest is a roughing gouge at 3/4" - but just on account of what sounds like a superior redesign.

Tom

Ken S

Thanks for posting, Tom. I am pleased to read that Woodcraft did right by you. I have posted when online dealersdo not  do right. I am pleased to read when a major dealer does the right thing.

I think you will be pleased with the new SVD-186. It really is a superior redesign. Let us know your thoughts about it!

Ken

Ken S

Earlier this morning I watched the DVD by Glenn Lucas about making the replica of a Viking bowl recently discovered in Dublin. Of special note in this topic are Glenn's comments about the newly arrived SVD-186. Like me, Glenn was very impressed with the improvements. In the past, he had recommended having several SVD-185 jigs, each permanently set to one of the jig settings. The new jig setting locking screw is secure enough that he no longer uses multiple jigs. I highly recommend the DVD.

Ken