News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a modification of my T4 review

Started by Ken S, November 15, 2015, 12:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have tried to be impartial with my reviews, and am willing to change them when I become aware of new information.

I am not an active woodturner. Yesterday I had the opportunity of working with a half inch bowl gouge on the Tormek. One of the tests I had not been able to perform previously with the T4 was reshaping a bowl gouge. Affinity Tool has lent me some demo tools, including a half inch bowl gouge.

I was able to reshape the half inch fingernail grind bowl gouge from fingernail to flat and back to fingernail in a relatively short amount of time with the T4. I had no complaints with how the T4 cut. (I will discuss the set up more in a topic in the woodturning sub forum.)

The constraint with the T4 and the gouge jig is the size of the T4. The grinding wheel sits too close to the universal support sleeves to allow the full swing of the tool. I could make a work around for this with a BGM-100 mounted outboard. However, the logical solution would be just to start with a T7.

With this constraint in mind, I would modify my T4 review to include a preference for the T7 for woodturning. This will be a very busy week for me, so I will modify my review posts as a later date.

Ken