News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM-100 Set Up

Started by paulkane1, November 18, 2015, 10:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkane1

Could someone on this Forum kindly help me on a matter relating to setting up the BGM-100.I want to set up on both sides of the grinder,as there is measurements in relation to setting up the BGM-100 correctly ,what ,I would liked clarified is in relation to the measurements from the Outside of the Grinding Wheels on the Left/Side it's 190mm,on the Right/Side it's 160mm,on the drawings ,I am not sure if it's from the EDGE of the Grinding Wheel,or,from the EDGE of the Spindle running through the Grinder,(that will give you 2 different positions?) Could someone kindly help me to resolve this matter,or a good link on setting up this BGM-100 correctly.

Kindly Paul

Ken S

Paul,

Looking at the PDF (tormek.com>accessories> BGM-100> mounting instructions pdf), it looks like the reference point is the outside edge of the grinding wheels.

I ran into a similar situation this week while preparing to demo the Tormek in Hartville. The gouge jig is asymmetrical. Facing the Tormek, I can get full swing from the left side to the top, but not the full swing from the top to the right side with the T4. The T4 is too small to fully accommodate the gouge jig. No trouble with the T7.

Just out of curiousity, you mention wanting to be able to use both sides of your dry grinder. Are you using this instead of a Tormek or in addition to your Tormek? If you don't have a Tormek, using both sides of your dry grinder makes sense to me. if you do have a Tormek, I would lean toward just adapting your coarsest grinding wheel to the Tormek jigs and finish up with the Tormek. (Just my opinion.)

If, by chance, you are looking for grinding wheels, I recommend the Norton 3X wheels. I have used a 46 grit 3X wheel on my six inch dry grinder for several years. It cuts quickly, reasonably coolly (due to the coarse grit) and leaves a surprisingly smooth finish for a rough stone. Mine is the K hardness. They are available in six and eight inch diameters. I use the 46 and 80 grit 3X wheels on my Tormek (wet) and have been pleased with them. (See my recent post in woodturning.)

Keep us posted.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I can see them referencing the edge of the wheels, because if it would have been the shaft, the lines should have gone further back, to the bump out on the guards in the picture.
But I am wondering why one side is further out then the other?

Ken, I can see the reason for both sides.  One side for shaping new tools and the other for grinding just a new profile (courser wheel on the new tool side, the other side just courser then the Tormek wheel).  Also Tormek has some kind of a Wolverine jig adapter, so maybe the difference in length, goes with that jig and longer tools?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good point, SADW. I could see a combination like 46 and 80 grit wheels. I can definitely feel a cutting difference between these. With anything finer than 80 grit, I would be more concerned with overheating.

Ken

Ken S

Paul, 

I found a good review of the BGM by Joe Herrmann. If he is the person I remember, he is a well respected Ohio based turning teacher. The review seems well done. Here is the link:

http://tormek.com/media/100812/woodturning_design_winter_2010.pdf

Ken