News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Tormek LED lamp

Started by stevebot, June 01, 2015, 05:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Steve, I second that hope. One of the demographics of Tormek users is that our eyes get a day older every day. Also, hopefully, with the passage of time our expectations become higher. We need very good light to meet these expectations.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on June 09, 2015, 05:16:58 PM
Have you any light to shed on ceramic "steels" Herman?  I've mentioned this before with my global knives.

I recall that, and I have since then had in the back of my mind a desire for a ceramic. Also perhaps a ceramic knife, but that's another discussion. Anyway, no I have no experience with the ceramic "steel".

QuoteI used the T7 to put a proper edge on my chefs knife some time ago and went very carefully, fully jigged etc. Then I started using a regular steel to just tickle the edge back before each use.  That worked really well for several months and then one day it nicked the blade and when I looked closely, the blade had a really sloppy raggy edge.  I think the steel had been folding, folding, folding until eventually it seemed to almost leave a burr like edge which was very untidy (although due to its tooth it did still slice quite well).

Well said. My observations at 40X magnification seem to support that assessment well.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Hmm

I'm intrigued to learn what's happening at the coalface with a ceramic "steel" vs the less than ideal edge left by a traditional steel.  In use, the ceramic really feels like it's cutting better.  There is a pleasant resistance to the edge as you pull the knife over the tool.  I'd really like to get a closer look at what its doing to the edge.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

My guess is that it's applying a micro bevel. Basically the same thing as a steel, just cleaner and better. More filing, less bending.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Pictures attached
   Here are a few ideas of  led lights. There are all kinds available with all kinds of prices.

Elden

SharpOp

First, I almost forgot to send in the registration for the T-7 I purchased recently in time to secure my promotional LED lamp and Tormek baseball cap.  Then I forgot all about the lamp until it arrived in yesterday's mail.

Pretty nice lamp!

The threads on the lamp I received were still a bit ragged.  A few minutes cleaning up and smoothing and and a hint of lubrication and everything screws together nicely and fingers should be safe.

The beam is even focusable within a useful range.

And it's bright!  And the screw-on magnet is a little monster.

~Doug

stevebot

A few days ago I was standing in my kitchen and say a single straid of a spiderweb in our back yard, about  30 ft away. Now I know that a spider web of under a thousandths of an inch at 30 ft if well beyond the resolution of the human eye, let alone through a screen door. But as a light source reflecting the sun it is perfectly visible. (It is the same with stars, we cannot see them but we can see the light.)

Then it occurred to me that this is how I see the old dull edge of knives and scissors even without magnification. A bright light is the secret, coupled with rolling the edge so you see every possible angle between your bevels. Any glint of light as you roll and you have found the dull spot. Eureka!
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Jan

Fully agreed, Steve, and thanks for concentrating our attention on the play of bright sun rays.  :)
It's not just a pretty sight, the reflected rays really carry very valuable info about the bevel properties.

Last year we have discussed here my opinion that the human eye can quite easy distinguish between hollow and flat grinded bevel, thanks to the focusing properties of the hollow grinded surface.  http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2295.30

Jan

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

This is a repeat of an earlier comment, but should be new to our newer members:

During my first three years with the Tormek, I worked out of an unheated and poorly lit garage shop, not the most pleasant environment. At the time, I thought the anglemaster was poorly designed. I found out otherwise when one day I set up my Tormek on a workmate just outside the garage. I was on the north side of the house, so the light was "open shade" (sunlight but on the shaded side of the building, a very pleasant way to work). Suddenly, the anglemaster worked much better! As recommended in the handbook, good light is crucial for good work with the Tormek. (It helps with any tool.) Fluorescent light is not as good as proper task lighting.

Ken