News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

stone grader

Started by Edwardo, October 10, 2015, 11:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwardo

Hi everyone I'm the new boy!
I've just got myself a T7 firstly very impressed with build quality however I do have a problem with the stone grader,it's as if the paws on the grader are blocked because it does really nothing unless I tilt to its straight edge witch at that point works very well, I've watched many videos with all having the stone flat to the face of the stone/machine.
The course side of the grader feels to me quite smooth,I'm guessing it should be rough to grade the main stone can anybody please advise
Just to put things in perspective a standard wood chisel with minimal damage took me around 50 minutes.

jeffs55

Welcome to the forum. I have a feeling that you are not pressing the grader into the stone with enough force. Turn the machine on with water in the trough and present whatever side of the grader to the stone and lean hard on it. Press it into the stone so hard that you are almost on the verge of stopping the machine. Do not actually slow the revolving but do make it think that you are. The edges and corners of the grader are the most aggressive but you will have to grade longer due to reduced surface area. Let us know, and if this does not work, there are more knowledgeable people than me on here. They will come through for you.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Edwardo. And, welcome to the Tormek learning curve! We have all been where you are now.

Among the videos you have watched, have you watched Jeff Farris' three videos on sharpening a chisel? Also, the short ideo on the stone grader on the tormek.com site is reasonably well done. I know of no outstanding video covering the use of the stone grader.

Using the stone grader is like riding a bicycle; once you master it the skill remains with you. I suggest you allow some quiet time to just learning how to go back and forth between coarse and fine. Set up your new Tormek with fresh water. Start with the coarse side of the stone grader. Your senses will guide you. Make sure you use plenty of pressure pushing the grader against the grinding wheel. The sound you hear should be increasingly gritty. The low ninety RPM of the Tormek makes it very safe to feel the moving grinding wheel. It should feel coarse. I suggest you overdo this stage with the stone grader at first.

Once you develop a sense of making your grinding wheel coarse, begin with the fine side of the stone grader. Use just as much pressure. You should hear the difference in the sound with the fine side. The sound is less agressive and quieter.. Also the moving grinding wheel will feel smoother. Overdo this stage. Then go back and forth a dozen times. Do not even think of touching a chisel until you have done this!

Just as a musician practices scales for technique, you should practice going back and forth between coarse and fine until you master it. Do not be in a hurry and short change this important learning step. The relatively small amount of time you spend doing this will be well repaid during sharpening.

Banish from your mind forever the misinformed worry about wearing out your"precious grinding wheel". Think of your grinding wheel as brake shoes on your car. They last a long time, but are designed to be consumed.

I have some thoughts to share with you about chisel sharpening, but will wait until you have had a chance to do your stone grader homework assignment. Remember reading and thinking about it is not the same as actually doing it!

Post again when you have practiced and we will move on to the second lesson. Your time will be well rewarded!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Edwardo on October 10, 2015, 11:52:44 AM
Just to put things in perspective a standard wood chisel with minimal damage took me around 50 minutes.

That's way too long. The grindstone is probably clogged with particles of steel. With fresh water in the trough apply the edge of the coarse side of the stone grader. Spend some time doing this with a lot of force. Then you can use the flat side of the stone grader like you've seen in the videos. You don't have to keep the water in the trough clean, but you do have to change it before it gets too dirty.
Origin: Big Bang

Edwardo

Many thanks for your help everybody I wil give this a go and let you no!!!

Ken S

Any progress, Edwardo?

Ken