News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek, T-4 page 72 September Wood magazine

Started by SharpenADullWitt, July 04, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Wondering what the difference between it and the T-3 is and if the T-7 is changing as well?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

I've not seen any promotional references to a new model???
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

This is a situation where some current publicity information from Tormek in Sweden would be a nice addition to the forum. I will try to locate the issue of Wood magazine.

Ken

Jambe

Herman Trivilino

I can't find anything about it at the Tormek website or the Affinity Toolwork website.  A google search brings me back here! 

Going by the photo the T-4 looks like an updated version of the T-3 with its 200 mm grindstone.

The Tormek website has two interesting videos posted on its home page.  One features the SuperGrind with its older version of the straight edge jig and truing tool.  I believe it's the video I got on VHS tape along with my SuperGrind 2000 purchase that I made back in 2002.  The other video features the update to the T-7 and the innovative and improved square edge jig and newer truing tool.

It looks like they're getting ready for the introduction of something new.

I wish Tormek had a presence here.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Interesting photo. It may well be an improvement on the T3. I wish it had appeared on the forum before being in the magazine.

Ken

Rob

I think we all understand the value and respect Tormek place on this forum!!
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

I looked online before posting here, and I am guessing maybe Jeff, can't respond until closer to Sept. (release date?).  I figure the marketing director, just doesn't realize how far in advance some magazines come out, or they don't want the T-3 to start building up stock, from those waiting for the new model.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

Oh I think Jeff with his inimitable style would have been open and honest.  Would have shared what knowledge he had and presented it in a positive light as he always did.  We are yet to learn who will be managing this forum since there has been no formal communication. Jeff is no longer moderating.  I'm sure one day Tormek will let us know who will be taking over.  One things for sure, they'll have a difficult act to follow...and I'm not even American :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

One option for Tormek is to shut this forum down.  I find it strange that they don't have a presence here yet they do continue to provide it.

I do hope they keep this forum up and running as it's a valuable resource for those of us who have invested in our Tormeks.

After all, satisfied customers are the best advertisement of all.

I'm sure that's as true on other side of the pond as it is here on this side.

It looks like the integral zinc casing of the T-4 is an innovative improvement over the T-3, and we have all seen that as Tormek innovates and improves its designs it remains loyal to those of us who have bought and who use their older products by making those innovations fit the older designs.

Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Jeff is no longer moderating?  I must have missed the discussion.

If that's true, I'd just like to express a big, "Thank you Jeff!"

We were (are?) all truly lucky to have you here.  Your professionalism, depth of knowledge and the amazing amount of time you spent helping folks here over the years is truly appreciated!

Mark

Rob

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on July 08, 2014, 02:05:50 AM
I find it strange that they don't have a presence here yet they do continue to provide it.

Tormek's singular absence to engage at all in the dialogue on this forum was partly what informed my comment on how they respect and value this space.  Then again, with Jeff at the helm I guess they didn't need to since his style was so conducive to friendly yet professional relations.  However, now that he's gone.....and with zero communication......who knows???

I've got to be honest, I think Tormek have seriously lost their way.  They've got cheap Chinese clones eating into one side of their market due to their inflated pricing policy and linisher style machines poaching the turners....where do they go?  I bet there's a few panic stricken faces in their finance department!
Best.    Rob.

jeffs55

I see that the greeting at the top of the page no longer mentions Jeff but this is the first that I have heard of his no longer being moderator. No mention of any kind, sort of makes me sad but nothing lasts forever. Thanks Jeff.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

SharpenADullWitt

Jeff may not be a moderator, but clicking on his name, shows that he still visits:

Date Registered:
    November 24, 2003, 10:18:08 pm
Local Time:
    July 08, 2014, 11:36:39 am
Last Active:
    July 06, 2014, 06:20:17 pm

So while he may or may not have moderating duties (at whose choice?), he still visits.

It would appear Stickan is the/a moderator.
8)

Ken S

I have been a forum member for several years and one of the most frequent posters.  In my posts, I have occasionally been one of the most outspoken critics of Tormek AB in Sweden.  Critical, but in a constructive, positive manner and neither disrespectful nor cutting.

We are at a critical point on this forum.  Jeff Farris, the forum founder as well as the much liked and respected forum leader, is no longer the moderator. While this is certainly a loss for us, I don't believe Jeff would wish to harm the forum.

We are presently in a vacuum of information. I believe the wise course for the present is to remain calm and not be judgemental. Tormek in Sweden will either try to rebuild the forum or it won't. I believe we shall receive some sort of explanatory announcement soon from Tormek AB.  in the meantime, let us all work to insure that the forum is worthwhile to maintain.

For the record, I believe this forum has been valuable for its members.  I joined when I was first considering the purchase of a Tormek. I sought information to help me decide whether to purchase or not. We have seen many others in this situation.

The forum has assisted many newer members overcome basic usage hurdles.  I have certainly benefitted from the experience of other members, and have tried to share my own experiences.

I have tried with limited success to push for more training aids. I believe this forum has and can continue to be a contributor to Tormek AB's bottom line. The Tormek is the high price tag item on the sharpening market.  Of course innovative design and high quality are important.  I believe knowledge for the users is of equal importance. This forum can and should be a source of honest feedback for Tormek AB.  I hope Tormek will realize this and act quickly to heal the breach.

Ken