News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SuperGrind 2000 vs T7

Started by ScottDobie, January 14, 2014, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottDobie

By the way Rob...is the jig that you can't remember the name of happen to be the multi-jig (SVS-50) ?  I didn't know that the articulated gouge jig wouldn't hold a roughing gouge.  Does the multi-jig hold it? 

Rob

That's the puppy.  The articulated jig is designed for tighter radii like those found on spindle and deep fluted bowl gouges.  It really comes into its own when you grind fingernail profiles and its absolutely perfectly designed for that.  I can literally turn my torso through 90 degrees to the lathe (my sharpening station), mount my bowl gouge in the jig and run three passes over the wheel...it takes a micro amount of steel off the tool and leaves an absolutely perfect single facet bevel every time....and that operation takes 20 seconds....no kidding.  I'm back to turning before you can say "blimey those Swedes know a thing or two about edges".

The multi-jig is also really useful.  That's my staple for the roughing gouge when doing spindle work.  Again, this is fast but not quite as elegant as the articulated jig.  In the roughing gouge setup you need to set the universal sppt at a known distance from the wheel which you've pre-determined based on the angle of the bevel you want (mine is 43mm from the wheel).  You also need to set how far from the end of the jig the chisel protrudes (75mm for me).  There is a turning tool setter that you should also not be without because that has all these distances baked in to make setup quick.  If you watch Jeff Farris's instructional video's (youtube) on these jigs you will save yourself a lot of time reading the manuals.  I recommend you do that because although Jeff was "Mr Tormek USA" he's also a turner and he knows what he's talking about.  Jeff recommends making a spacer block to insert between the universal support and the wheel to speed the setup.  I did just that and it makes setup a snap.

With the Torlok toolrest, the 2 gouge jigs and the turning tool setter I'm good for all the gouges and skews and parting tools and scrapers (I don't use jigs for the skews as they're simple to do using the Torlok and then by eye).  I never bother with leather honing any turning tools as its just not worth it.  Others will argue it is.  My thinking on this is common sense, any turning tool is subject to massive forces at its edge, quite incredible in fact, especially roughing gouges.  Therefore any finessing of the edge that a honing step might produce is lost within seconds of touching the work piece.  In addition, I'm an active member of a turning club and we have guest professional turners regularly demonstrate.  I'm yet to find one that hones their chisels and they earn their living from turning. The only people that seem to advocate stropping turning chisels it seems to me also have a vested interest in promoting the sale of the kit!  That decision has to be left to the conscience of the individual church go-er :-)

Honing of plane irons and bench chisels I entirely agree with...just not turning tools.

Anyway that's really my ten penneth based on my experiences.  The T7 and those jigs are really in a class of their own in terms of accuracy and speed for the touching up of high speed steel.  The truth is they make sharpening something I actually look forward to.
Best.    Rob.

ScottDobie

Adding up the cost of those jigs separately comes to $12 whole dollars less than the kit.  I think I'll just go for the gold here.. At least I'd get an instructional DVD, a machine cover with the kit, plus a "handy storage tray"! Ha!

All of you have been very instrumental into my decision to spend more than I have . ;)
I'm not sure if I should thank you or not!! ;D

But seriously, Thank you all

Rob

haha...so the old reverse psychology worked then :-)

Go for it Scott.  You wont regret it.
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

It really is a matter of time verses money.

I picked up the T2000, a few years back, with a few jigs, for $185.  The gentleman that sold it to me, was given it by his best friend, who he helped sell his shop when he was dying  of cancer.  He didn't like it, but didn't realize, he didn't have the stone grader or the diamond stone (makes a difference).  Due to life getting in the way (no shop time), an employers medical issue (LOTS of extra hours at work), it was two years, before I was able to get back to it, and buy the parts I wanted (jigs and upgrades but all with fun money).
It was worth the wait.  (if it wouldn't have been, I was offered more then I paid for it a few times, prior upgrades)
Now, if I can find time to use the tools and resharpen them again (shop time), I will be happy.  Life just keeps getting in the way.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

courierdog

Well as an owner of  a SuperGrind 2000 which I have upgraded to T7 Standard, because I already had the 2000.
I would just break down and bite the bullet and buy a new T7.
It is a once in a lifetime decision.
I never regretted purchasing my Tormek nor spending the money to upgrade it to the latest specs.
The Tormek is a serious sharpening machine which can perform wonders if you take the time to learn and perfect your sharpening skills.
I sharpen my metal Lathe Tool bits and my Japanese Chef knives, I can achieve a sharp mirror like finish to any edge.
preparing food or turning metal with a finely crafted edged tool is pure joy.
Retired Engineer

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang