News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The care and feeding of the stropping wheel

Started by mike40, August 06, 2013, 07:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Farris

Well, it appears the ground has been well covered, but I wanted to add that I have seen many more wheels damaged by too much oil than I have frustrated owners who needed to use more oil.

The entire point of using oil at all is to conserve honing compound. If you partially fill the leather with oil, you don't have to fill it with compound to get compound on the surface.

I'm not convinced that handbook has it right. I've rarely had an application of compound last for more than 2 or 3 tools. I find I go through less compound if I put a little bit (one very thin stripe all the way around) every couple of tools rather than putting a lot on and expecting it to last.
Jeff Farris

mike40

Routers are wonderful and very versatile tools Rob. I use mine quite a bit, a British Trend router BTW,and I also have a few cheap ones, but I have never learned to love them, even though I built a nice router table and split adjustable fence for it which works very well. Maybe it's the high pitched screaming sound they make. I guess it's old age. I like it quiet nowadays! There are of course many things a router can do very precisely and quickly, and of course working oak by hand isn't quite as much fun as pine (English understatement).
Mike

Herman Trivilino

Any word on the shelf life of the honing compound?  I have a tube that until recently went unopened for 12 years.  It seems to have too much oil in it, but I think it's working ok.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Herman,

Put the cap on and squish it around a little. It will mix back together.

As for shelf life....think Twinkies. Short of nuclear holocaust (or leaving the cap off), it should be fine.
Jeff Farris

mike40

Jeff, I did use the paste sparingly as you suggest, about the amount I saw you using in your videos. I think I have about the right balance of oil and paste now. I agree that actual experience is better than the manual, but in this case it did give me the confidence to add more oil without fearing that I would ruin the wheel, and it worked out well, but I was careful not to overcompensate.
Mike

mike40

Jeff, I did use the paste sparingly as you suggest, about the amount I saw you using in your videos. I think I have about the right balance of oil and paste now. I agree that actual experience is better than the manual, but in this case it did give me the confidence to add more oil without fearing that I would ruin the wheel, and it worked out well, but I was careful not to overcompensate.
Mike

mike40

Could someone please tell me how to put a quote in a post? I tried it above, but wound up with a double post instead.
Mike

Rob

Quote from: mike40 on August 08, 2013, 10:27:01 AM
Could someone please tell me how to put a quote in a post? I tried it above, but wound up with a double post instead.

Go to the upper right hand side of the post box area of the post you want to quote and press the quote button.

That pastes the text from that entire post into a new post of your making.  You can then edit that text as you would normally if perhaps you didn't want to quote the entire original posters content.

Further the quoted content is held between place markers which look like this [/quote] one at start and one at end.  Obviously don't mess with them :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

By way of visual explanation.....

Best.    Rob.

mike40

Mike

Rob

Best.    Rob.

mike40

Sorry Rob, I know your name, but the 'n' is right next to the 'b' on the keyboard, so it's actually the fault of my wild fingers. (damn those fingers!).
Mike

Rob

Just teasing Mije...I get it all the time.....dam that name :-)
Best.    Rob.

mike40

Mike

Rob

oh very drole Oscar :-)  Buffalo...where...on the croquet lawn...blam (sorry lapsed into Monty Python)
Best.    Rob.