News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Photobucket picture uploading tests

Started by Rob, March 02, 2013, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

I haven't used Photobucket for quite awhile and they have changed thing since my last time. I guess I need to get all the steps spelled out for me to get it.
Mike

Herman Trivilino

Add a forward slash before the fourth from last character.

Origin: Big Bang

mike40

Mike

mike40

Thanks much Grepper and Herman. I get a longer URL when I click on the 'image' link in Photobucket. Not sure if that will work too, but at least there's progress. Now I will try to show you the edge pic I took with a flash. No candle! I thought I was fairly good at hand honing. I use diamond plates and  strop with paste (instead of water stones which I know are better). But I have to admit that I got a much better edge with the Tormek and with a lot less effort. The honing wheel worked great for me too. I gave my freshly sharpened chisel the paper cutting test, shave my arm a little and cut some pine end grain and it passed all three tests with flying colors.

I owe some of my initial success to you guys here on the forum and discussions about square edges and such. It made me double check that the chisel was squarely in the jig, which it was not the first time I tightened it. I free handed the honing on the chisel as suggested by Rob and that worked great, both the bevel and the back. I could feel and hear when I was running on the edge. I used the jig to hone the plane iron and that worked perfect too. The back was already polished, so that wasn't necessary except a little freehand to remove the burr.

This is a very satisfying start. I am now considering getting the turning package too and the mount to use the Tormek jigs with my bench grinder for HSS tools. I think that might be my Christmas present this year. I'm also looking forward to participating further in the forum as I find the discussions interesting and of course relevant. Thanks again!

Here's a photo showing the front edge of my sharpened chisel done with a flash and guess what, no candle! I just wanted to see if I could actually post another picture. I had to use the Direct link option to get this to work.

Mike

grepper

Way to go Mr. Mike!  Now I see the picture. :)

I saw what happened to you before.  Your tried:

(I'm leaving off the square brackets just so I can type it.  You always need the square brackets for it to work)

/img URL /img

then you tried:

img URL img

It's that picky syntax!

No / on the first one, but it needs the / on the second as per Herman's instructions:

img URL /img

Above this editing box, you can use the first button on the left of the bottom row of buttons, just below B (bold) button.  It will put the "img" stuff in for  you, and then you can just paste the URL between them.

Anyway, look like it's working!

Mark

Jeff Farris

Mike,

You had a "/" before img at the start. That's the "off switch" for html code. "" tells it the address is over. I took it out, and it works fine!
Jeff Farris

mike40

Thanks Jeff. This was pointed out to me by Herman and it finally worked for me. I'm having a lot less problem with my new Tormek. Here a shot of it in my shop. It is occupying the one last remaining space I have, which turned out to be next to my lathe. I put a piece of plastic under it to make it easy to clean up water spills. I didn't get the turntable accessory yet, and I am wondering if the machine can still be tilted using one?

]

Mike

Herman Trivilino

I would recommend waterproofing the entire top of that cabinet.  And you need some way to prevent water from entering that drawer.

I took a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and covered it with a scrap piece of vinyl flooring.  (Hey, it's what I had!).

Then I wrapped the edges with some pieces of scrap, forming a small lip to contain any small spills.

You'll inevitably find yourself putting an edge, or smoothing over some piece of metal, on some piece of metal that will draw the water off the grindstone and onto the bench top.

My table saw does double duty as a platform for my Tormek.  I have a large piece of wood that covers the entire saw table and extensions, and then the above-described platform sits on top of it.  I've never had the saw get wet.
Origin: Big Bang

mike40

Thanks for the tip Herman. I do have that extender for the water trough, but I already spilled a bit while fiddling with the trough first time out. I just used what I had on hand under the machine, but I will take your advice and come up with a good permanent solution.
Mike

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

I've just discovered that if you use the img option in photobucket, you don't need to worry about selecting the little mona lisa picture icon followed by pasting from direct link into the resultant html brackets.

You can just paste (ctrl-v) anywhere in the post
Best.    Rob.

mike40

I will give it a try Rob. Worked great. The photo is a guy (I think his name is Thor) wondering who took his chisel.

Mike