News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

how to sharpen skewed plane irons

Started by larry7293, April 21, 2013, 03:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry7293

RobinW

My thought is, depending on the width of the plane iron, whether the plane iron could be held at the desired angle in the square edge jig SE76, with the angle by a protractor or bevel gauge. So although the plane iron is skewed in the SE76 jig, its cutting edge is horizontal where it meets the wheel. Also use a felt marker to colour the area to be ground, and check this is being ground parallel to the edge.

I think the big issue with this method is the width of the plane iron and if enough skew angle can be made inside the jig.

Do you have any sizes or photos of the plane iron?

Alternatively try one of Herman's HK50 jigs.

Rob

No I think one of the turning jigs does it. From memory the SVS-50 multi jig has an open and closed seat, with i think its the closed seat you can set a skew angle to the tool. But I might be wrong off the top of my head. Jeff will know instantly.

I think once you've set the skew angle you then just place the Svs-50 over the US as it has a shoulder and grind away as it presents the edge at the skewed angle.

I only use it with the open seat to grind roughing gouges and parting tools so have never used the closed seat

Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

Both Robin and Rob are on the right track, though I prefer skewing the iron in the SE-76 to using the SVS-50. It's a bit more familiar when sharpening that type tool, plus, unless you're a turner, you might not have the SVS-50.
Jeff Farris

larry7293

Thanks for the input.  The blade is 1 1/2 inches wide.  I think using the  square edge jig is probably my best bet.  I had thought about using a sharpie and drawing a horizontal line across the stone and lining the cutting edge up to it while in the square edge jig. 

Rob

Good point. You wouldn't have it unless you're a turner but the se76 is bundled now isn't it.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: larry7293 on April 23, 2013, 11:58:38 PM
I had thought about using a sharpie and drawing a horizontal line across the stone and lining the cutting edge up to it while in the square edge jig.

Make sure the grindstone is true if you do it that way.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Quote from: larry7293 on April 23, 2013, 11:58:38 PM
Thanks for the input.  The blade is 1 1/2 inches wide.  I think using the  square edge jig is probably my best bet.  I had thought about using a sharpie and drawing a horizontal line across the stone and lining the cutting edge up to it while in the square edge jig.

Or...pull the Universal Support out so that the edge of the blade is nearly perpendicular, put a light on one side and observe the gap between the edge and the grindstone.
Jeff Farris

RobinW

The following illustrate my skew blade (made from that well known blade material - cardboard) using a 1.5" wide blade with 30 degree slope for the blade edge, and my interpretation on how it could be sharpened.

One thing on which to take care, is the amount of horizontal travel - it is more one way than the other depending on whether the blade is angled to the left or right. So do use the end stop on the universal support bar, otherwise it is liable to fall off the wheel and cause an accident.

Skew 1

Skew 2

Skew 3

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Herman......just a quick question, why origin: Big Bang in your signature?
Best.    Rob.

RobinW

just one of life's little mysteries! It was ok when I did preview, and then hit the Post button. This morning I couldn't see them either, but had to go out. I'm just back in, and what do I see? Three pictures. And that's before I do anything! So I won't do anything as I might screw it up again!

Rob

I had that happen....I put it down to the Internet fairies!
Best.    Rob.

larry7293