News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New SVM-00 Small Knife Jig

Started by grepper, March 20, 2013, 09:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Anyone notice the new SVM-00 Small Knife Jig?

I don't even know if it's relevant anymore considering the IH jig.

It also does not help with sharpening a machete, while the IH jig does both.

I'm not sure how, since it's gripping the handle, it compensates for many pocket knives with more than one blade since in that case the blade is off center in the handle.  I need to read further.

But it appears that Tormek does listen.

http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svm-00-small-knife-holder/

grepper

I can't find anything about it's cost or availability.

I don't think it handles the offset of a multi blade pocket knife.  Not that I could tell from watching the video or reading the PDF.

I don't really know how much of a bevel angle change it would make with the amount of offset caused by a blade being on one side of a pocket knife.  In a larger pocket knife the blade could be 1/4" or so off center. 

Am I correct in my thinking that would change the bevel slightly?

Rhino

I am definitely buying this one.

For a blade that is not centered, I plan to add some paper to one side or the other and center it myself.

There is going to be a lot of adjustments involved.  For example, this will not work if the knife and handle alignment is not good (for example, blade bent to one side, twisted, etc.).  I don't mind.  A new toy to play with.

Elden

Note: Some knives are difficult to mount in line with the Guide Bar. Knives can also be sharpened with asymmetrical bevels. In these cases, and if the angle is not correct when you turn over to sharpen the second side, you can adjust it separately with the Micro Adjust

I believe the above statement is as close as they come in mentioning the multiple blade knife. ;) The bevel would be approaching the wheel asymmetrically. The Ionut - Herman jig is better in regard to the multiple blade knife and in regard to large (machete style) knives. Their jig looks great for what they have pictured, however.

Mark, your jig will do well on the multiples as well.
Elden

Elden

That note in my above post, is from the PDF instructions.
Elden

Rob

Well....I've seen it all now. In future I recommend any jig ideas from this community get a patent before they express it in public.

This forum is clearly a source of product innovation input to Tormek. And I don't mean specifically the recent posts. R&D takes cycle time so that's just coincidence....but clearly, through discussion this forum focuses where the weaknesses are....Tormek can then swoop in and develop the jigs.

Perhaps an acknowledgement would demonstrate good manners and courtesy!
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Great job, Tormek AB.  You are catching up with the forum!!!!

I think it would be very sporting, since forum members have produced several ideas for sharpening small blades, if Tormek would list a discount code on the forum for free shipping if any of us order one of the new SVM-00 jigs within sixty days.  No discount, just free shipping.  How about it AB?  After all, we are "the party faithful".

Ken

Black Mamba

I'm much more inclined to use and develop my skills using Herman's jig ideas than I am to get Tormek's SVM-00. I applaud Tormek for listening and addressing some shortcomings with their small knife jig. On the other hand, though, the SVM-00 still has notable deficiencies...or at least significant inconveniences. I'm anxious to hear from you guys that will buy and use the SVM-00.

Tom

Ken S

I will probably buy one of the jigs for two reasons:

1) The Tormek is a hobby for me, as well as a practical sharpening tool.  I'm curious.

2) I think the jig ideas on this forum are certainly very workable.  No problem there.  I can see the possibility that the Ionut/Herman jigs will do a better job in many situations, and, perhaps, the Tormek idea would shine in others.  The forum jigs certainly seem faster and capable of handing more situations, I like options.

Ken

ionut

;) that looks interesting, I didn't  believe they would do something considering that this small knife jig is a very old story.
In my opinion though a platform type of jig offers a couple of major advantages.: It is easy to set the angle, you set the angle for 20 similar knives and you are done all that remains is simpy sharpening; It allows for sharpening microscopic knives as well and Samurai swords, Viking swords and everything in between; On the top of everything there is no special hand move involved for the curved tips of the knives where you would have to rather lift the knife handle than pull it towards you to get consistent bevel width and angle.
But if this was triggered really by the forum discussions it is really great, it means someone is still listening.

Ionut

Herman Trivilino

I am sure that the need for a small knife jig has long been recognized by Tormek's developers and engineers.  Their drill bit jig demonstrates their dedication and skill.

I too am very impressed with the SVM-00.

If you watch the video you can see that it has a bit of trouble keeping the bevel angle constant along curved blades, especially when the curvature increases near the knife tip.  So the homemade platform jig is an advantage there.

Another advantage to the homemade platform jig is the ability to set the bevel angle on a knife blade that has a grind.  That is, a knife blade whose sides are not parallel.

As I've discussed before, when you set a knife like this on the platform of the homemade jig you can measure that angle between those two nonparallel grinds, and then adjust the platform to compensate for it.  I know no way of doing this for any knife of any size using the Tormek knife jigs.

Just to clarify, let's say I have a knife and I want to sharpen it to a 20o bevel angle.  I set the platform of my homemade jig at 20o using the angle master.  Then I set the knife on the platform with the cutting edge against the grindstone as if I'm about to sharpen it.  Then I use the angle master and measure the angle that the top side of the blade makes, and find that it's 24o.  This means that there is a 4o angle between the two faces of the blade (because they are not parallel).  I remove the knife, set the platform at an angle of 18o and Bob's your uncle!

I don't know how you guys allow for blades shaped like this.  Personally, I just stopped buying kitchen knives with blades that have that shape.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

I think the innovative thinking that has come from this rag tag, globally distributed and multi backgrounded group of people is absolutely spot on. 

I'm a firm advocate of Maslow's hierarchy of needs....once the fundamentals are satisfied ie a house, job, family etc....the middle aged male mind can get no greater satisfaction than coming up with original thought about solving complex problems and then delighting in sharing it.

I think your home made knife jigs are absolutely commendable.  I for one, though not personally engaged as I freehand mine, have read with wide eyed fascination at the creative, inventive purpose with which that discussion has developed. We have been privelidged to witness the birth of original thought....personally I always find that exciting....even if, objectively (like my wife) some might find the subject matter a little dry.

When a commercial operation goes into manufacture.....it's a big thumbs up to the value of the idea. I would encourage either or both of you to seriously consider investing in the commercial patenting and production of your idea....Tormek and all clones could use it..plus bench grinders.  It's a winner in my opinion...few refinements.  There's a multi tens of thousands dollar business right there. No premises needed, YouTube promotion and mail order. Have to sink some capital into design and build but hey.....that's how businesses start right?

I love it...keep it coming
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

While we are (quite rightly) congratulating our forum members for their ingenuity, let's not forget the fine work done by Robin a while back with the improved universal support bar he designed and had manufactured for sharpening tall cleavers. 

Sadly, when he offered them for sale to this forum at a very reasonable price, only one person (me) was willing to purchase one from him.  I thought it would be a useful tool for sharpening my favorite Chinese cleaver.  And, I would be supporting the ingenuity and industry of a fellow forum member.

Ken

Rob

People will always vote with their feet where moneys concerned. If the product solves a problem, is priced right and people have a genuine need..they'll vote with their wallets
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

The fact is, this jig is nothing more than a tool rest that gets so close to the grindstone that it's going to make occasional contact.

It may be a commercially viable idea, but I just don't know.  There may be legal issues, too.
Origin: Big Bang