News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding Aluminum on the Tormek

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 20, 2013, 03:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

ionut

Herman, I understand you are aluminumizing your small knife jig. I know is too late but another option maybe better one would be to use UHMW polyethylene to build the platform. It is easily workable, does not clog grind stones if you plan use grind it, it is impervious to water and the best part as I see it is the fact that is very low friction, the blades would slide very easily on it. I believe a 3/8" thickness would provide enough rigidity but it can be even thicker.

All the best,
Ionut

Herman Trivilino

That sounds like a good idea.  I'm going to respond back in the same thread where this jig is being discussed.  That'll make things easier for someone who comes along later and wants to read this story.

Ken S

Herman, home shop machinists purchase small quantities of metal and plastics.  A copy of Home Shop Machinist magazine should have adds for these places.

Ken

Rob

Another way could be to just telephone an aircraft manufacturer and ask. That might sound outrageous but my brother in law lives next door to a company that manufactures pc cabinets for aircraft ( out of aluminium)

He once needed a small piece fir something and literally wandered into reception.  They called engineering and a guy came up with a piece for him...no charge
Best.    Rob.

Don Green

Too Late!  Already made one out of "lexan"

Don G