News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding Aluminum on the Tormek

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 20, 2013, 03:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Anything unusual going to happen to the grindstone when grinding aluminum?  I expected it to go faster because the aluminum is so soft.  I'm thinking the aluminum particles are clogging up the grindstone.
Origin: Big Bang

ionut

Hi Herman,

I would keep aluminum away from the Tormek stone, aluminum would clog everything and if you clog the Tormek stone, the grader will get clogged as well if you try to clean the stone with it.. I saw in one of the pictures you have a dry grinder not far from your Tormek, I would use that or if it is not too much grinding I would use a file.

Ionut

Ken S

"Gummy" comes to mind with grinding or machining aluminum.  I second Ionut's comments.  While doing my unsuccessful remodeling on my Torlock plate, I needed to file down the flat surface with the threaded hole for the holding screw.  I used a multicut file, which made quick and easy work of it. my belt grinder also worked very well.  Given the choice, I can easily use a file card on the file, and belts are inexpensive compared to Tormek wheels.

Pat Warner has written a very good article on routing aluminum which is available on his website (patwarner.com) for a small fee.  Any woodworker who uses a router should investigate Pat's website and books.  He's the best.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Well, it's too late ...

I was making a plate out of aluminum to sit atop my homemade jig.  I used the Tormek to put the bevel on it.  For all other operations I did use the dry grinder and a file.

Now my grindstone, and I guess the rough side of the stone grader, have aluminum embedded in them.  I can get the aluminum out of the grindstone with a light truing pass.  I hope ...

ionut

Yes Herman, you should be able to clean the stone by truing it with the diamond tool. For the grader try a stiff steel wire brush or any stiff wire brush you have access to, it should be cleaning it but you may have to work for a while depending on how much aluminum you have there. I use a wire brush to clean my files and works pretty well.
If that doesn't work for the grader, I never tried this but you may try to rub it on a not very rough concrete surface that would not mint to end with grinding marks, until it gets cleaned and then use the brush to clean it from cement and sand  particles left by the concrete.

Ionut

Herman Trivilino

I'll try all of the above!  Thanks.

ionut

Be careful with the concrete though it will grind your grader and flatten it. If your grader took the wheel shape and you rely on it, then maybe the concrete stuf is not the best idea.

Ionut

Herman Trivilino

The rough side of the stone grader isn't curved, so that won't be a problem.  I'll play it safe, though.  Start with the wire brush and move up to the concrete if it looks like it needs it. 

Ken S

Herman,

I hope you can restore your grading stone.  Whether you can or not, like my new collection of Torlock jigs in various sizes, we have learned something from our thoughts put into action.  Tuition for Tormek Design 101, if you will.  I believe we have something of value to show for our work.  We have pushed back the limitations of our skill level a little bit.  Enough little bits, and pretty soon, it starts to add up!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I have no doubt, Ken, that I'll be able to restore that stone grader.  Fortunately, I never touched the fine side to the grindstone.  Thanks for the sentiments.

Herman Trivilino

I just trued the grindstone, didn't take much.  Clamped a wire brush in the vise and rubbed the stone grader on it.  Then passed an old wood rasp over it.  Then some more of the wire brush.

I'm back in business.

I discovered a good use for the diamond t-bar wheel dresser.  I have the original truing tool that you move by hand across the surface of the grindstone.  It leaves ridges, as probably the newer truing tool does, also.  The t-bar is good at knocking them off.  Then I made a few final passes with the truing tool.  Applied the rough side of the stone grader and ... wait for it ... Bob's your uncle!

Rob

Good old Bob......he has an increasing army of nephews!

Looks like you're sorted now, I was going to suggest a few light passes with an angle grinder on the grader
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

"Two nations separated by a common language"

Rob, would you please translate "Bob's your uncle" into "American" for me.

Thanks,

Ken

grepper

Being in the US, I'd never heard the expression when I first saw it one of Rob's posts.  I rather knew from context what it meant, and a quick Google of it also provided it's possible varied and interesting origins.  I thought it was catchy, so, just for grins, I started sprinkling it into my conversation.  A friend heard me say it and grinned.  I was gobsmacked!  I asked if he had heard it before, and he replied in the affirmative, saying the he heard it when he was in New Zealand.

Now he uses it too.  And Herman.  And Jeff.   And me.  I checked www.cdc.gov for distribution maps, but as yet nothing.  But... Thanks to Rob... IT is spreading. IT is growing.  IT may be unstopable! And now, internationally. :)

Rob

There it is....done

Hey presto

The closest Americanism I can think of is "boom". As in two passes on the wheel and "boom" it's done
Best.    Rob.