News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Another classic trap for newbies - too much oil on the fresh leather

Started by Rob, March 07, 2013, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Kens post about dressing reminded me of this classic bear trap...

How much is enough and what type seem to be the most often asked..

Mineral oil from your pharmacist and very little indeed seem to be the considered response.

I used 3 in one oil and think I got away with it but apparently its the wrong viscosity compared to mineral oil which is the best choice.  There is then a whole myriad of problem solving that goes on once the wheel is over oiled (or too dry).  So best avoid it in the first place
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

afx

I used paslode oil (narf) on mine and it appears to work great, I kept a close eye on the absorption by the wheel to make sure I didn't overload it.

I wold think overdoing it could be remedied with some dish liquid and a good rinse?

Herman Trivilino

I may try soaking mine in dish liquid and water.  It was definitely over-oiled in the past and may still be suffering the effects.  Although it seems to be working much better now.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

I'd skip the detergent treatment, Herman. Just keep using it, with generous applications of compound. It will work itself out.
Jeff Farris

Herman Trivilino

Sounds like good advice, Jeff.  I'll just keep loading it up with compound. 

ionut

Hi Herman,

You may also try this if you want, I used it in the past to revive one honing wheel the local dealer had that had more oil than leather on or in it. If I remember correctly I have also wrote about it before and this is pretty much what I have done.

- Scrape off as much of the gunk as you can while the wheel is on the machine.
- Soak the wheel in mineral spirits for few hours.
- Scrub well with a stiff plastic brush. Let it dry when you are done.
- Wash the leather well with dish detergent and water.
- Let it dry until is perfectly dry. The leather will look a bit darker than when new, smoother and a bit stiffer. From this point on use only honing compound.

If yours has enough drag while you hone it is better to just use honing compound as Jeff said, I bet your wheel wasn't as oily as the one I dealt with and you already used it for such a long time.

All the best,
Ionut

Herman Trivilino

Yeah, I've gotten the gunk out of it by scraping, and it's cutting pretty well, so I guess I'll just keep adding compound.