News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Anyone notice the forum stats?

Started by grepper, March 13, 2013, 01:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

We surpassed all previous listed records for new posts, and it's only March.  I think it happened early today or yesterday.

How cool, all this enthusiasm and innovation going on here!

Yearly Summary    New Topics      New Posts
+ 2013                 78              1284
+ 2012                 140              815
+ 2011                 204            1148
+ 2010                 195              729
+ 2009                  204              572
+ 2008                  173              321

Herman Trivilino

Yup.  This last month has been a record breaker for activity on this forum.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman can remember, as can I, the way the forum used to be.  When I started in 2009 (after Herman), no one had reached fifty posts.  I forget who was first to fifty.  It was either Ionut or Herman.  I was second, as I recall.  The two posts with the most threads had about twenty replies.

Things have really picked up recently, for the good.  Good work, guys.

Ken

Elden

Yesterday there were 36 people online. Getting closer to the record of 43.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on March 13, 2013, 01:59:50 AM
Herman can remember, as can I, the way the forum used to be.  When I started in 2009 (after Herman), no one had reached fifty posts.

Ken, you are the first member, except of course for Jeff, to reach 500 posts.  Somewhere along the way you passed me up and left me in the dust.  :)

Your posts are very thoughtful and this forum just wouldn't be the same without you.

Rob

I second that. A proper gent is our Ken :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  You two are catching up quite quickly!

For the record, I would rather the forum have twenty more 25 posters than one 500 poster.  I hope the increased activity will also bring us a deeper bench (more contributing blokes for those of you who speak English).

Ken

Black Mamba

I've got to say, the general activity level on the forum has taken a quantum leap forward in the last several months. I've seen times when it might go days between postings.

Since my use of the Tormek is limited to working with knives ( and, even then, on a very limited basis ) I don't have much opportunity to add meaningful comments. Yet I find that time spent on the forum, listening to all sorts of issues, problems, and solutions, greatly expands my overall knowledge of sharpening. I'll hear something that may benefit me in a totally unexpected manner. The net result is that I'm far more educated as a consequence of my, mostly silent, presence on the forum. My sincere appreciation goes to all you guys for your generous giving of time and info.

BTW...one thing I'm keenly interested in, and follow closely, is the development of a knife jig ( such as being worked on by Herman and others ). I'm about ready to get an aluminum plate and start fiddling with one along the lines of Herman's.

You folks keep up the good work....please. It helps more of us less accomplished souls than you probably realize.

Tom

grepper

Tom,

Not to redirect the thread, but I'm curious; have you ever taken a knife to your Rapid Edge flat disks?

Mark

grepper

And another one bites the dust:

Forum Stats

Users Online

9 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 44. Most Online Ever: 44 (Today at 06:19:14 am)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Black Mamba on March 13, 2013, 01:11:02 PM
BTW...one thing I'm keenly interested in, and follow closely, is the development of a knife jig ( such as being worked on by Herman and others ). I'm about ready to get an aluminum plate and start fiddling with one along the lines of Herman's.

You won't regret it.  It's a far easier and effective way to sharpen a knife than the knife jig.  The only reason not to make one is if you don't own the scissors jig.

Black Mamba

Quote from: grepper on March 13, 2013, 02:21:29 PM
Tom,

Not to redirect the thread, but I'm curious; have you ever taken a knife to your Rapid Edge flat disks?

Mark

Hi Mark,

The quick answer is that the Rapid Edge machine does not well accommodate working with knives. The principal reason being that the articulated arm, that is instrumental in gripping and aligning the scissor blades on a consistent basis, is not suited to working with knives. Even if it were, there are working-space design features that would limit the use to very small knife blades. Just for kicks, I have taken a few small pocket knives and worked with them on a free-hand basis. As with any free-hand approach, getting the same grind angle on each side of the blade can be problematical. Frankly, I find free-handing to be much easier on the Tormek and, in addition, the Tormek can accommodate a much, much larger range of blade sizes.

I consider myself to be average, at best, in my free-handing capabilities. That's why I'm so keenly interested in the work you guys are doing in developing an apparatus that's reall helpful in working with small blades.

Take care,

Tom   

Elden

Yearly Summary   New Topics   New Posts       New Members   Most Online
2013                        80                1320                 85                  44
2012                      140                  815               984                  37
2011                      204                1148           10605                  43
2010                      195                  729             1645                  38
2009                      204                  572               691                  29
2008                      173                  321               441                  34

I've been curious about this  number for some time. Is the 10,605 new members in 2011 a typo? I believe that is greater than the current total members. Would it possibly have been 1065?
Elden

Jeff Farris

Quote from: kb0rvo on March 13, 2013, 04:12:10 PM

I've been curious about this  number for some time. Is the 10,605 new members in 2011 a typo? I believe that is greater than the current total members. Would it possibly have been 1065?

Not a typo, a spam-bot invasion.
Jeff Farris

grepper

Tom,

Ever thought of making a mod for the articulated arm? :)  With that fine selection of abrasives and buffers It seems like you should be able to thin a small knife edge down to the angstrom level, and polish it to a mirror finish!