News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife bolster and return maintenance

Started by Elden, February 28, 2013, 10:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

I have a question in regard to bolster and return maintenance.

I am basing my terminology off the following diagram:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/pics2/640/knifepartsv.jpg

The knife is a Chicago Cutlery 629 boning style knife. Most of the bolster is in the scales which the front portion of form a finger guard. It is similar to the one found at this link:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/content/products/large/1028.jpg

The beginnings of a radius is being formed as the edge meets the return due to previous sharpenings.

The hollow ground portion (relief above the edge) of the blade is tapered (actually a slight concave radius) into the return by the factory. This is not the same radius mentioned in the above paragraph.

Should the edge be made straight to the beginning of the return, going through that taper (or radius), then blend in the return?

I know Jeff covered a similar question in Difficulty Sharpening the heel end of forged paring knives
( http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=855.0 ) but would appreciate any extra guidance or clarification as I'm a little dense. I'm sorry that I can not upload pictures from my phone to the computer. :-\

Elden

Herman Trivilino

Sorry.  I think the only way I'm going to be able to understand is if you do upload those pictures.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Yeah I was struggling with that a bit Elden. I might need a degree in knife anatomy first :-)

I'm guessing you're worried about how to grind that sticky out bit where the blade meets the handle?

For me, when the regular bit of the blade gets ground down so much that that tang bit looks stupidly big (and gets in the way if the grind wheel), I just mill it down on the grinder till it looks about right. I make sure its turned enough to round over any sharp edges. Basically rough it to look about the same proportions as when it was new

That probably missed the point of your question by a hundred miles in which case I apologise :-)
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Thanks Herman and Rob.
Herman, I'll try to get that done but I'll have to get someone to take the pictures that can email them to me. This old computer does not have the capability of receiving them from the phone camera.

Rob, you are close to what I was trying to describe. As this is one of our knives, it really doesn't matter. I was just trying to get an idea for when working on a similar situation with someone else's knife. I will have to slip into a store and observe a new knife as you suggested. I also need that degree in knife anatomy that you mentioned! ;) My present degree consists of that diagram that I gave the link to!  :o
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: kb0rvo on March 01, 2013, 04:42:47 PM
Herman, I'll try to get that done but I'll have to get someone to take the pictures that can email them to me. This old computer does not have the capability of receiving them from the phone camera.

Can't you email them to yourself from your phone?
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

No, we have a basic package with do data other than texting. I tried it the other day, no go. :-\
Elden

Rob

You know Ive always been able to cable connect older cameras I've had to my older pcs. Can't you physically connect it as opposed to sending the pictures digitally as data (which from your last post I appreciate you can't)

Best.    Rob.

Elden

Rob, I can connect it with a cable that I have. However the computer doesn't have the appropriate program to receive the pictures.
Elden

grepper

Rob

Yeah let us know which operating system and the version (xp, vista, windows 7 etc) and we can probably point you in the direction of its embedded software for photo management. They all have something that was shipped with the pc
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Elden

Rob

Well that's me stumped right out the gate. This ipad is the only Apple product I've ever owned. But Macs are notorious fir being media file friendly.  Surely it must have some embedded photo software?
Best.    Rob.

Elden

When I used the help, it told me iphoto should open up automatically when a camera is attached. It didn't.  :(  So I searched for iphoto. It is not there.  :-\  So I reckon someone has removed it from the computer. :-[
Elden

Rob

But can't you just download it from Apples website?
Best.    Rob.

Rob

The way a pc works and I'm sure macs are similar is that when you attach an external device that has storage space, this includes cameras, USB sticks, external disc drives etc.....the computer recognises it as a separate piece of hardware. You can usually drag and drop any data (including jpg files) from the connected device to the computers internal disc

So as long as your Mac can "see" the cable connected camera you can get the files on to it and then manipulate them with any of a million bits of photo freeware you can download

You need to have the camera switched on when its hooked up the computer and some cameras even need to be switched to the play pictures setting for the computer to see them
Best.    Rob.