News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SuperGrind 2000 Shaft

Started by glh17, February 24, 2011, 07:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glh17

I have the older non-stainless shaft, which is developing a little rust.  I'd planned replacing it with the new stainless shaft but recently read on another forum that a periodic application of a light coat of wheel bearing grease would prevent rust.  I'm hesitate to do this until I hear from you guys.  I happy with my existing set up and my only concern its with the rust.  Will something bad happen if I use the wheel bearing grease?

ionut

Very occasionally, maybe once a year I use to thoroughly clean my machines, I also used lithium grease to apply a light coat of it on the shafts for less friction, and everything is fine. When I first time disassembled my machine the shaft had a light coat of grease on it so I don't think you have any reason to worry. Maybe Jeff has more information regarding the safety of different brands of grease when in contact with plastic bearings. In my case I never say a problem, not only with Tormek.

Ionut

glh17

ionut,
Thanks for the response.  I couldn't remember if the shaft had anything on it or not.  I wasn't a heavy user and probably went about 2 years without doing any maintenance.  Now, I follow the maintenance procedure Jeff describes in his video twice a year.  I do this when I can change my smoke detector batteries and reset my clocks for daylight savings time.  I'll go real light with the grease and see what happens.
Gary

ionut

Hi Gary,

What is weird is the fact that my second machine is a 2000 as well, I may be wrong but when I got it the Tormek dealer said the shaft is stainless. In all this time I didn't see any rust on it even though there is a lot of humidity in the air where I live.

Ionut

Jeff Farris

Quote from: ionut on February 27, 2011, 06:42:05 AM
Hi Gary,

What is weird is the fact that my second machine is a 2000 as well, I may be wrong but when I got it the Tormek dealer said the shaft is stainless. ...

Ionut

The last couple years of production of the Model 2000 (roughly 2005 - mid-2006) the shaft was stainless. Several other improvements were made to the system, but no model designation change was made. When a new base coating and painting process was chosen, it was decided that enough changes had been made over the previous few years to warrant a complete model designation change.
Jeff Farris

tooljunkie

Ionut

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment "even though there is a lot of humidity in the air where I live"

You make it sound like we live in wet environment like a coastal rain Forrest, Oh that's rite we do!  ;)

Boy are you rite.
You can never have enough tools!

ionut

Thanks Jeff, I was suspecting it is stainless as I didn't have any rusting issues with it and the only difference between the 2000 I have and T7 as far as I can see is the paint color and probably the straight jig which, I believe, it was the old model.

Yes Dan you know what I am talking about, sometimes is like a rainforest here :)

Ionut