News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone Grader SP-650

Started by Darryl J, December 31, 2010, 01:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Farris

Quote from: nhblacksmith on January 24, 2011, 12:47:30 AM
Tormek lists its paste as 3 microns so it is a bit courser than the green stick but they both give a high polish. ...

Not quite the whole story. Tormek PA-70 is a blend of 3 micron, 2 micron and 1 micron particles. As the coarser particles break down, the finer particles take over. That gives it the unlikely combination of a relatively fast cutting action with a very fine finish.
Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Steve Brown on January 25, 2011, 12:44:28 AM
Thanks Jeff, I am no longer confused, at least as far as the squarensss issue is concerned. But while I have you on the line, Jeff, If you were doing cabinet work and some furniture, would you be inclined to buy the 4000 grit Japanese waterstone? Or is that stone primarily aimed towards the turner?
Steve.

Turners would be the last group that would need the 4000 grit waterstone. The Japanese waterstone offers a very fine finish from the grindstone. It's really not that much different from the finish from the leather honing wheel, but since it comes from the stone, it is more precise than the leather honed wheel. That said, it cannot remove much steel, so it is of limited value if you let your tools get dull before you sharpen them.

My personal feeling is that if you're competent with the SG-250 and leather honing wheel, and you're satisfied with the quality of edge you're producing, then there's no reason to get the SJ-250. The SJ-250 can produce a finer edge than the SG-250, but whether the average woodworker needs that edge or not is a matter of that average woodworker's personal preference.
Jeff Farris

ionut

Here are the pictures I've promised about the workaround for the TT-50.

Thanks,
Ionut

ionut

It looks like the pictures are not being uploaded. Dan you can send me a private message with the email address you want me to send the pictures to.

Ionut

Ken S

Jeff,

I really appreciate your last post.  I realize the primary driver (and funding) for this forum is to encourage sales of the Tormek and its accessories.  That's fine.  When a salesman advises a potential customer that a product might not be all that useful to him, that's an honest salesman.

(I buy most of my tormek from my local dealer.)  I did order the Advanced Water Trough and a micro adjuster part from SharpTools USA.  My order arrived in lightning time. Excellent service.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the honest advice.

Ken

Jeff Farris

Send the pictures to jeff at sharp tools usa dot com (without spaces...you know...) and I'll see if I can get them to post here. It may be an admin setting that I need to adjust.
Jeff Farris

tooljunkie

Quote from: ionut on January 25, 2011, 06:47:09 AM
Here are the pictures I've promised about the workaround for the TT-50.

Thanks,
Ionut

Thanks Ionut
It worked like a dream, no play at all.

Dan

You can never have enough tools!

Steve Brown

Dan,
Where did you find Ionut's pics? Are you using the grader on the 1000 or 4000 stone?
Steve

ionut

I am glad it did.
And now if you want a fine surface on the stone with no scratches you can go as slow as you want  when truing.

Steve - I wasn;t able to load the pictures, I have sent them though to Jeff he may be able to post them. Tonight when I get home I will send you a private message to get your email address and will attach the pictures.

Ionut

tooljunkie

Hi Steve

I only have the original stone SG-250 at this point.
From every thing I have learned from this forum I think I will put my money into Jigs/Kits

I have the Planer Blade Attachment SVH-320 & it worked great.
The next one I will get will be HTK-705 Hand Tool Kit

I would like to get the Tormek Japanese Waterstone is 4000 grit at some time but for now I am amazed at the edge I can achieve with original stone SG-250.
You can never have enough tools!

ionut

Hi Steve,

I want to make something clear in the context of Jeff's great answer posted earlier.
I believe Tormek is the greatest machine in sharpening and this is coming from a user and  not from a salesman or anything else, but no company in the world could make a machine that would make all the sharpeners happy whether they are woodworkers or knife makers and so on. The basic setup of the machine comes in a way that would bring everyone close to doing a great job sharpening. But no one says you can't go further with that and in my case I choose to invest in customizing this process as far as I could and now the only reason to not be able to sleep at night is the urge of cutting wood with an cutting edge close to perfection for which I consider Tormek being liable.
Now coming to the Tormek Japanese water stone, the stone is not meant to do sharpening, it is meant for honing, you can with a non-nicked tool to go directly on the 4000 but it will take you a lot of time if the tool has a minute defect. In my case I always start at 1000 setting on the grinding/sharpening machine and then move on the honing machine with the Japanese stone and hone the edge. I don't grade anymore anything, I have stones that each is used for a particular job. This way I spend more time clamping the tool, getting the angle right, essentially setting up, than actually sharpening and in no time I am back working.
But as Jeff said this is a matter of user preference, and if you need to go as far as I choose to you will find in time. You can be perfectly happy as many other users with one machine/stone for all the sharpening you have to do.

Ionut

Steve Brown

Hi Ionut,
I appreciate your feedback.The truth of the matter is, when I saw that Tormek had a 4000 grit stone, I knew I was going to buy it. I'm not the kind to just do the basics, I always strive to go the extra mile. My chisels and plane irons are sharp now vis a vis an India oil stone and an Arkansas oil stone. I wanted the Tormek because I've been looking at ads for it for 30 years. Acouple months ago, I bought one. State of the art, no question about it. I've been posting to see what others think is the way to go as far as bench stones beyond the 4000 Tormek. I think your approach is spot on. I will get the 4000 stone, always keep my iron sharp, and call it a day. Thanks again for your help.
Steve

ionut

Hi Steve,

You will never regret the decision of getting that stone. I missed to say in the previous post that if you would be close you could come and see how it works, but if you already decided then is not needed but the offer is still open.

Ionut

Steve Brown

Hi Ionut,
I got your photos, thanks. I tried to respond to your email address but it wouldn't go through. You live in CA?
Steve

ionut

Hi Steve,

CA as Canada, BC.

Ionut