News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a tanto point

Started by cesnyderces, March 10, 2010, 12:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cesnyderces

I've really been enjoying my T-7 for the past month or so.  People now come to me all the time asking for their knives to be sharpened.  While I've been succesfull at sharpening a  tanto point on quite a few knives so far, I've been less than happy using jigs I have.  Is there a better jig than the knife jig for this process?  Thanks!

Charles
Thanks to Tormek, I now have a sharp tongue!!

Jeff Farris

Charles,

You can either use the jig and reset the clamp for the tip or do the tip freehand.
Jeff Farris

cesnyderces

Thanks for the reply, I've been using the knife jig successfully,  but it can be difficult to clamp properly.  I've ended up using another piece of blank steel, of the same thickness on the other side of the jig, and it works.  However, I was hoping for an easier, better option.  The T-7 is a phenominal product, and exceeds any of my expectations.  Perhaps there is an aftermarket product for that?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

How well would the planer jig work for making straight hollow grinds on custom knives?  I need another jig for that, something that would hold the knife straight when going back and forth, similiar to the square edge jig, with two holes for the guide rod.  Thanks for your help!

Charles
Thanks to Tormek, I now have a sharp tongue!!

billbertg

Charles,
It take a bit of practice but I've been successful doing the tanto edges just using the standard guide to help keep a steady hand.

berto

could you use the svs 50 closed end jig to get the tanto portion of the blade sharpened?
To whom much is given much is expected...