News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone wear

Started by Wannabewoodworker, March 24, 2010, 03:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabewoodworker

I just had a quick question about the wearing of my stone. It seems like it wears on the edges much more than the middle. Is this normal or am I doing something incorrectly to cause this to occur?? It seems that when I sharpen knives which is all I have sharpened so far and the majority of what I will always sharpen when I move the blade across the stone and get near the tip of the knife I move the handle up like Jeff shows in the video but this seems to cause abnormal wear on the edges of the stone making them round off. If I am doing something wrong I would love to hear what it is so I can change the way I am doing things to keep the stone more square for a longer period before having to true it often. Thanks!

berto

:o how long are you spending with the tip at the edge. I know that I have had this problem when concentrating on the tips of my 12" chef knives causing me to re-true the wheel. Are you shaping or sharpening that could be an issue too. I have done about 30 chef knives and 10 pocket knives and I re-trued twice only because I had refresh the wheel with all the steel I was grinding away. I do however notice that the edges are more susceptible to wear then the middle.

I have had my Tormek for about 1 month and love the hell out of it. 
To whom much is given much is expected...