News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Does Tormek Endorse?

Started by Columbo, July 20, 2024, 06:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbo

Well there are other outfits such as Schleifjunkies (Hanns) that sells 3D prints of added complete trough systems for second wheel adaptions with extended bolt. Even a drip tray overtop that clips into their FVB & Tormek's FVB also with a 3d honing wheel protector overtop with attachments for a second trough system capability. I have it. She clips in perfectly but l haven't tried a second wheel yet. Their CBNs can run on tap water. He states this as such as well whereas WTW dont.

Although there are videos on YouTube explaining tests that were run over a month with Wood Turners Wonder Spartan wheels one with one HoneRite, one with tap water and one with Tormek's ACC. Either way, his test prove when running with WTW's wheels in water with whatever additive is ok. But yet they will not claim that it's OK to run in water other than their Tornado wheels.

I've read somewhere on a forum that when running to CBN wheels at one time on a tarmac that the machine definitely slows down almost to a crawled rotation. As if the T8 does not have enough torque to spin to heavyweight wheels. Although there have been others who have stated, while having a diamond wheel on the left and the lesser weighted spartan plastic core wheel on the right that there was no issue with slowness of spin.

Hanns has stated to me that this will not be an issue when running to CBNs on one T8 with the extended bolt at one time.

Columbo

I also must add that Slipakniven out of Sweden also sells CBN wheels,that I also have that can also run in normal tap water.

And I do have Tormek's diamond wheels but I gotta say man that ACC stuff can get pricey, even with the filtering of. I've seen videos of others using a sponge as well, which is something I'm gonna do some more exploration towards. Presently I do not like to grind dry. I've heard some horror stories with the possibility of fires from the dust, especially when the workshop is in the basement; even with the best of the best of air dust colectores. Yes it's all dependent on the steel/blade type material one grinds as well.  Furthermore l had my place catch on fire years ago, unrelated of course thank the Lord above so today I'm even more apprehensive towards dry grinding, either with belt or a variable speed grinder.

Anyveeee, izzzza learning...Filippo

3D Anvil

Quote from: Columbo on August 11, 2024, 09:40:05 PMI've read somewhere on a forum that when running to CBN wheels at one time on a tarmac that the machine definitely slows down almost to a crawled rotation. As if the T8 does not have enough torque to spin to heavyweight wheels. Although there have been others who have stated, while having a diamond wheel on the left and the lesser weighted spartan plastic core wheel on the right that there was no issue with slowness of spin.

Hanns has stated to me that this will not be an issue when running to CBNs on one T8 with the extended bolt at one time.

This is almost certainly caused by water dripping onto the rubber drive wheel, rather than a lack of sufficient motor torque.  If the drive wheel gets wet, it causes the drive shaft to slip, which seems like a torque issue if you don't understand what's happened.  I use a 3D printed guard over the drive wheel to minimize the issue, but it still happens occasionally.  Then it's just a matter of drying off the wheel with a rag or paper towel.

Columbo

Quote from: 3D Anvil on August 14, 2024, 03:05:24 PM
Quote from: Columbo on August 11, 2024, 09:40:05 PMI've read somewhere on a forum that when running to CBN wheels at one time on a tarmac that the machine definitely slows down almost to a crawled rotation. As if the T8 does not have enough torque to spin to heavyweight wheels. Although there have been others who have stated, while having a diamond wheel on the left and the lesser weighted spartan plastic core wheel on the right that there was no issue with slowness of spin.

This is almost certainly caused by water dripping onto the rubber drive wheel, rather than a lack of sufficient motor torque.  If the drive wheel gets wet, it causes the drive shaft to slip, which seems like a torque issue if you don't understand what's happened.  I use a 3D printed guard over the drive wheel to minimize the issue, but it still happens occasionally.  Then it's just a matter of drying off the wheel with a rag or paper towel.

yes, thank you I've done the same Shcleifjunkies Has the best 3-D plastic covers right over the drive wheel and the drip trait to its side

Ken S

In my opinion, it may be reasonable to think that the strong motor of the T8 may be able to power a second grinding wheel. I also believe that no responsible company will set a precedent obligating them to cover warranty repairs outside of the parameters of their designed product. Tormek has always been designed for a single grinding wheel.

There is a warranty compliant solution to this. Use the Tormek as designed and quickly change grinding wheels when needed using the EZYlock.

My other problem is using unknown sources as supporting evidence. I have no problem with non Tormek sources, as long as they are properly linked or documented.

Ken