News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek EM-15 Edge Marker lid

Started by Ken S, August 26, 2024, 11:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I remember recently watching a video where the presenter used the lid of an EM-15 edge marker instead of his thumb nail. I tried this, and it seemed to work well. My knife slid along smoothly until it hit a rough patch. I have never been comfortable using my thumb nail.

I held off posting this because I have not been able to find the source and post a link. I would be most appreciative if anyone remembered the source and would post a link. For that matter, I would welcome good information either supporting or disproving the marker top idea.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

The principal is to take advantage of nerve endings. The finger tips are very sensitive so holding something such as a marker lid by the finger tips will detect any discontinuity in the edge as you suggest. That is why the finger nail is so good at detecting any roughness since there is a very high density of nerve endings under the fingernail.

As for the marker lid the trick would be to hold the lid very gently which would make your finger tips more sensitive.

tgbto

You guys should upgrade to the TBT-1000... Much smoother cap at the just the right hardness for sub-micronic edge feeling and a patented extra-fine edge tester that will conveniently double as a pocket holder. Only 19.99 apiece  ;)

Ken S

Interesting thought, TGB. I did an Amazon and a Google search for TBT-1000 with no luck. Would you please provide a purchase source?

What initially piqued my curiosity was a comment Wolfgang made "or an old credit card, which he did not have". I wondered if a used gift card or a Sharpie might work. I believe this requires further investigation.

I welcome further comments.

Ken