News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New angle jig KS-123

Started by John Hancock Sr, May 20, 2024, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsharpen

Quote from: John_B on May 27, 2024, 08:23:49 PMGreat to hear. I have 2 support bars so for knives I will be setting one for honing and one for sharpening. I will use my jig for setting the projection distance on each knife. Going this the new KS-123 won't be used too much unless someone wants a different angle.

I also have two USB, the one on the honing side in a MB-102.  When switching knives, I set the projection, then I've just been setting up both sides with the KS-123 since it is so quick, then on to sharpening.  So far with the knives I've been doing I've not been able to maintain the same projection between knives with the KJ-45.

v6turbo

Quote from: darita on May 26, 2024, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: v6turbo on May 26, 2024, 03:31:18 AMdang its sold out and no stock until July and no option to get reminder when in stock :(

I ordered a second one from Sharpening Supplies yesterday and it noted restocking in two weeks.
yesterday ? i have been check the site for 3-4 day never saw it in stock :(

tgbto

I've just watched the video where Tormek demonstrate the use of the KS-123.

I don't know yet if I'm going to buy one, because I feel the calculator method serves me so well. Still it is quite appealing to dispense with measurements, especially the wheel diameter one. All in all, if I didn't have my vernier calipers already, the KS-123 would be the obvious choice. It is not very expensive.

A few comments on the video :
- I would have loved to have a vernier on the jig itself. Not necessarily to chase one tenth of a degree, but rather to improve the overall precision. Maybe they could just add a few markings on the composite needle plate that would help with centering on degrees or half degrees marks.
- It's quite funny to see them still struggling with their explanation that earlier methods (AngleMaster, uncontrolled honing, ...) were "not complex, but more complex" but really you should buy the KS-123 (and the MB-102).
- Couldn't the KS-123 also be used in combination with the sharpie trick to measure the edge angle of an unknown knife ?
- The fact that the KS-123 can be used with the SVM-00 assumes that it is easy to center the blade with respect to the plane of symmetry of the SVM-00. Spoiler alert: it is not. so using it the way it is demonstrated with a sloyd knife is a recipe for disaster: one will most certainly alter the edge angle of the knife and make it assymetrical. If you want to use the KS-123 with the SVM-00, you should take the time to center the blade first, with careful and repeated use of the sharpie trick. If it were easy, it would be demonstrated by Wolfgang in his video about the SVM-00. On the contrary, Wolfgang explains how to not center it.

Dutchman

Based on the film, you can have all kinds of suspicions of problems that may occur, but believe me, using the KS-123 is very convincing in its simplicity, precision and speed of use.
I even ordered the MB-102 now to be able to use the KS-123 with the honing wheel as well. But it's a pity that I also have to pay for that side piece for use with the side of diamond wheels.  I will only use the MB-102 as a vertical base, replacing the construction I have now.

tgbto

Dutchman, what side piece are you referring to ?

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on May 29, 2024, 11:04:33 AMI've just watched the video where Tormek demonstrate the use of the KS-123.

I don't know yet if I'm going to buy one, because I feel the calculator method serves me so well. Still it is quite appealing to dispense with measurements, especially the wheel diameter one. All in all, if I didn't have my vernier calipers already, the KS-123 would be the obvious choice. It is not very expensive.
I don't find it's necessary to measure the wheel diameter as accurately as once claimed.  A simple ruler will suffice, and only needs to be updated periodically.  I mark the measurement on the wheel with a Sharpie, and don't bother checking it again until the marking is worn off.
A few comments on the video :
- I would have loved to have a vernier on the jig itself. Not necessarily to chase one tenth of a degree, but rather to improve the overall precision. Maybe they could just add a few markings on the composite needle plate that would help with centering on degrees or half degrees marks.
I think the markings are adequate... it's pretty easy to judge "half degrees" if wanted.  But really not necessary for its intended purpose.
- It's quite funny to see them still struggling with their explanation that earlier methods (AngleMaster, uncontrolled honing, ...) were "not complex, but more complex" but really you should buy the KS-123 (and the MB-102).
Tormek has always "struggled" denied that the AngleMaster didn't work properly on knives with a taper... so probably the reason they struggle now?
- Couldn't the KS-123 also be used in combination with the sharpie trick to measure the edge angle of an unknown knife ?
Yes, once you do the "sharpie trick" just set the Projection Distance (or "protrusion" as Tormek calls it) on the KS-123, "snap" it on the USB, set it on the wheel per instructions, and it will tell you the angle.
- The fact that the KS-123 can be used with the SVM-00 assumes that it is easy to center the blade with respect to the plane of symmetry of the SVM-00. Spoiler alert: it is not. so using it the way it is demonstrated with a sloyd knife is a recipe for disaster: one will most certainly alter the edge angle of the knife and make it assymetrical. If you want to use the KS-123 with the SVM-00, you should take the time to center the blade first, with careful and repeated use of the sharpie trick. If it were easy, it would be demonstrated by Wolfgang in his video about the SVM-00. On the contrary, Wolfgang explains how to not center it.
Obviously depends on the knife, but I've used the SVM-00 a bit (more when I used a Wicked Edge sharpener for some reason), and didn't think it was that difficult to set up a knife... does take a bit of practice though.

Of course, some of the above depends on your methodology... if "decimal point" accuracy is important, I think a calculator will still be the preferred way to set things up, as well as more accurate measurements.

Quote from: tgbto on May 29, 2024, 02:04:02 PMDutchman, what side piece are you referring to ?

I'm guessing the MB-100 portion where you sharpen on the side of the wheel.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Quote from: v6turbo on May 26, 2024, 03:31:18 AMdang its sold out and no stock until July and no option to get reminder when in stock :(

I ordered a second one from Sharpening Supplies yesterday and it noted restocking in two weeks.
I ordered one the day they were released and it said shipping in about two weeks.  Now it says they'll be getting more stock in July.

Dutchman

Quote from: tgbto on May 29, 2024, 02:04:02 PMDutchman, what side piece are you referring to ?

darita

Quote from: 3D Anvil on May 30, 2024, 05:51:42 AM

I ordered one the day they were released and it said shipping in about two weeks.  Now it says they'll be getting more stock in July.

Where did you order from? I ordered from Sharpening Supplies on what i believed to be the day of release. I received mine days ago. A day after the first order, I ordered a second one and it was indicated shipping in two weeks. We'll see if it does ship.

3D Anvil

Quote from: darita on May 30, 2024, 02:42:28 PM
Quote from: 3D Anvil on May 30, 2024, 05:51:42 AM

Where did you order from? I ordered from Sharpening Supplies on what i believed to be the day of release. I received mine days ago. A day after the first order, I ordered a second one and it was indicated shipping in two weeks. We'll see if it does ship.
I also ordered from sharpeningsupplies.com.  I guess I must have missed the first batch by a matter of hours or minutes.  Mine hasn't shipped yet, either.

Swemek

This was a disappointment. After biting the bullet and getting MB-102, a second USB and the KS-123, which was out of stock in almost every shop here in Sweden, only to find out that the angle meter was delivered without the "retractable part".

Does this render the meter useless, or can I use it somehow?

cbwx34

Quote from: Swemek on May 30, 2024, 09:08:50 PMThis was a disappointment. After biting the bullet and getting MB-102, a second USB and the KS-123, which was out of stock in almost every shop here in Sweden, only to find out that the angle meter was delivered without the "retractable part".

Does this render the meter useless, or can I use it somehow?

Is the "retractable part" the spring?  (Can't tell for sure on the diagram.) Anyway, I'd let Tormek support know right away... to get a replacement, and also let them know if it's a production issue.  (Might check the box closely and see if it's in there.)

If it is the spring, I'd say yes, in the interim you can still use it, just slide it forward with with your thumb/finger.  Once you set the "protrusion" it's not needed anyway.  (In fact, I'm not sure the spring is needed all that much.)

tcsharpen

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 30, 2024, 10:16:06 PM(In fact, I'm not sure the spring is needed all that much.)

It may not be entirely needed, but I like that it is there.  It pulls the angled section into the blade.

cbwx34

Quote from: tcsharpen on May 31, 2024, 03:46:47 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on May 30, 2024, 10:16:06 PM(In fact, I'm not sure the spring is needed all that much.)

It may not be entirely needed, but I like that it is there.  It pulls the angled section into the blade.

I don't disagree.

What I did prior to answering earlier was tighten the "Knob for locking Protrusion" enough so that the spring didn't have any affect, and found that I could manipulate the jig quite well without the spring's influence.  But it is a convenient feature.

tcsharpen

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 31, 2024, 03:58:28 AM
Quote from: tcsharpen on May 31, 2024, 03:46:47 AM

I don't disagree.

What I did prior to answering earlier was tighten the "Knob for locking Protrusion" enough so that the spring didn't have any affect, and found that I could manipulate the jig quite well without the spring's influence.  But it is a convenient feature.

Oh yes, totally agree with this.  Once locked in place the spring has zero impact.