News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sea changes

Started by Ken S, June 17, 2024, 05:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

There is an English language expression, "sea change", meaning "a profound or notable transformation" (source: Oxford Dictionary).

One comment during the online class 24 about the KS-123 was that the more jigs which were added, the slower Tormek sharpening became. While there is an element of truth in this, the complete picture is that these more advanced jigs also make the sharpening more accurate. Not many Tormek sharpeners want to refurn to just freehand sharpening and honing.
Of the present ongoing sea changes, the first seems to be the US-430, an evolution of the out of production US-400 support bar. At the request of a group of Tormek owners lead by Tormek dealer, Steve Bottorff, Tormek agreed to making a limited run of the US-400. I was proud to have been a part of that group. This limited run sold out quickly. I was also at least one of those who suggested that Tormek extend the two side legs, which created the present US-430. A useful tool was added to the Tormek system. (It should be noted that the US-430 is really for long knives only.)

For years, we grumbled about the SVM jigs not being automatically self centering. Tormek corrected this with the introduction of the KJ knife jigs. This seems an ongoing change, as a number of us are still not content with the reduced adjustability of the KJ. However, the KJ jigs do provide self centering at very reasonable cost.

The new KS-123 is a major step forward. In my opinion, the Tormek Design Committee really nailed the issue of using the Amglemaster with knives. We can now reserve the Anglemaster, a fine tool, for its intended purpose, flat chisels and plane irons.

Related to the KS-123 change is an even bigger sea change. Tormek has tradionally recommended freehand honing. Withlonger knives, jig honing did not work because of clearance problems with the jig and the plastic locking knobs. Pioneered by late forum member, Wootz, of Knife Grinders, many of us purchased third party Frontal Vertical Bases, which solved the clearance problem. This clever solution, just adding two holes to the MB-100, offered two functions for about the same cost as either of the two jigs. I do not believe Tormek has or will completely abandon freehand honing, although their recent comments seem to have warmed considerably to it.
When I first started using my T7 in 2009, I felt that certain areas of sharpening had advanced more with Tormek. I felt that knife sharpening was not the most area. With recent changes, I no longer feel that way. "Sharpening Innovations" is a good description of Tormek.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 17, 2024, 05:07:07 PMThere is an English language expression, "sea change", meaning "a profound or notable transformation" (source: Oxford Dictionary).

"Sea Change" is also part of a great crime drama movie series... ;)  8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 17, 2024, 05:42:42 PM"Sea Change" is also part of a great crime drama movie series... ;)  8)

Sea change is also the name of an Australian comedy drama.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on June 17, 2024, 05:07:07 PMRelated to the KS-123 change is an even bigger sea change.

I quite agree. I have only used mine on three knives so far and it is certainly a game changer.

tcsharpen

When I would show my friends the Tormek, I'd often spend some time talking about the math behind the calculator/app method, and demonstrate setting  up to sharpen a knife, measuring/adjusting things and all involved, and then the results.  Not everyone appreciates the science behind the results though.  For those who enjoyed it, it was a good story.  Most just glossed over it.

The other day I demonstrated the KS-123, with the same final results.  I got a much better response from the ease of setup without having to use an app, as the person seeing it was already familiar with the prior methods. The comments were it took all the tedious setup out of the process.

While I was happy using an app, the KS-123 makes it even more simple, and I think much more approachable, especially for those who don't appreciate the science.

Ken S

Well stated, TC. I especially appreciate your use of the word "approachable". As someone who appreciates precision, but has a limited math background, I am happy about the lower tedium.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: tcsharpen on June 18, 2024, 03:54:14 AMWhen I would show my friends the Tormek, I'd often spend some time talking about the math behind the calculator/app method, and demonstrate setting  up to sharpen a knife, measuring/adjusting things and all involved, and then the results.  Not everyone appreciates the science behind the results though.  For those who enjoyed it, it was a good story.  Most just glossed over it.

The other day I demonstrated the KS-123, with the same final results.  I got a much better response from the ease of setup without having to use an app, as the person seeing it was already familiar with the prior methods. The comments were it took all the tedious setup out of the process.

While I was happy using an app, the KS-123 makes it even more simple, and I think much more approachable, especially for those who don't appreciate the science.

I don't think I've ever explained the math to anyone outside the forum.  I would gloss over too...   ;D   I am curious how you explain the KS jig though... since "the science" is basically the same.  I do get that a "lay person" will appreciate a visual of seeing an actual angle vs. an arbitrary distance.

I'm just glad they came out with the KS jig... to eliminate the improper use of the AngleMaster for knives.  (Hopefully the AM instructions will soon be updated to get rid of it.)  I doubt the majority of sharpeners would ever hear of, or even use an app or similar method... so it's a step in the right direction.

Quote from: Ken S on June 18, 2024, 04:15:29 AM...I am happy about the lower tedium.

Ken

Me too, but probably for a different reason.   :D

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 18, 2024, 03:35:56 PMto eliminate the improper use of the AngleMaster for knives

Maybe, for others but in general to make the setting of the angle more accurate and faster. It is still possible to improperly use the KS-123, so still an issue with ignorance.

cbwx34

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on June 19, 2024, 12:51:31 AMMaybe, for others but in general to make the setting of the angle more accurate and faster. It is still possible to improperly use the KS-123, so still an issue with ignorance.

Not entirely sure what you mean, but the AngleMaster came with bad instructions (for knives), so even if you used it according to the instructions, it gave an incorrect result.  It wasn't a matter of "ignorance".  Pretty sure the intent of the KS jig was to solve this.

tcsharpen

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 18, 2024, 03:35:56 PMI don't think I've ever explained the math to anyone outside the forum.  I would gloss over too...   ;D   I am curious how you explain the KS jig though... since "the science" is basically the same.  I do get that a "lay person" will appreciate a visual of seeing an actual angle vs. an arbitrary distance.

That's just it, I didn't "explain" the KS-123 rather just demonstrated it. Because the person had heard me talk about and show the other method, their take-away was it is much easier now.  Having to use an app to sharpen, even with the ease at which it could be done, just made it seem harder than it really was for some I think.

3D Anvil

I agree that the KS-123 will be used much more widely than the calculator method ... although I'm not sure if it's really any faster or more accurate.  Not sure why so many pro sharpeners were intimidated by the calculator method, but it was definitely a thing. 

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on Yesterday at 11:43:11 PMI agree that the KS-123 will be used much more widely than the calculator method ... although I'm not sure if it's really any faster or more accurate.  Not sure why so many pro sharpeners were intimidated by the calculator method, but it was definitely a thing. 

It was made unnecessarily difficult in the beginning, and I think some never got over that.

Dutchman

Quote from: cbwx34 on Today at 02:07:15 AM...
It was made unnecessarily difficult in the beginning, and I think some never got over that.
Totally agree. By "Simple adjustment", I meant the use of my tables. The KS-123 makes it even easier