News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding knives vertically or horizontally

Started by Ken S, May 11, 2023, 04:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have read a lot of chatter over the years about whether to sharpen knives vertically or horizontally. Tormek presents a very good case for vertical grinding starting at 44:45 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/live/0htKSoTBjoI?feature=share

What I have not seen posted is the just as logical case for sharpening knives horizontally. I learned this from Steve Bottorff. Although Steve is a real deal knife sharpening master with the Tormek, his general knife sharpening method is very different than the orthodox Tormek method.

Steve believes in using the Tormek knife jigs for "absolutely even knife bevels". However; during a busy Saturday morning at a farmers market, he needed to modify his technique to keep up with demand. He does the initial (more coarse) sharpening with his Tormek and either a SG-250 or (more recently) with an SB-250. He grinds freehand. No jigs and horizontally (grinding away from the wheel as is done with honing.)

Instead of using the stone grader to grade the stone fine, he uses paper wheels for fine grinding and honing. These, like the freehand grinding, require skillful, careful workmanship, which he has from long experience.  He has enough skill to produce quite satisfactory edges quickly.

Steve's method of horizontal grinding for freehand, high volume sharpening makes a lot of sense. The standard Tormek vertical grinding method, as demonstrated by Sebastien and Wolfgang, also makes a lot of sense. I do not think of either as being "right" and the other as being "wrong". I think of "the best" method as whichever fits one's sharpening needs. For a more occasional sharpener like me, the traditional Tormek method works very well. I have no plans to ever start a "weekend warrior" sharpening business. However, if sharpening a hundred knives during a Saturday morning ever became reality, I would definitely develop my horizontal knife sharpening skills.

Ken