News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Paper Wheel Honing Setup?

Started by darita, July 09, 2022, 09:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

Quote from: 3D Anvil on July 13, 2022, 05:28:40 PM
That's what I would have done if I had a welder ... and knew how to weld.
Actually, I'm new to welding.  I got a Miller 211 about 2 years ago and it's very forgiving. I don't trust my welds to hold anything that undergoes any high stress, but for this kind of stuff, it's ok. 

cbwx34

Just a side note (if you care)... with most grinders you can unscrew the motor from the base and turn it around, so the power cord is behind the machine, and the switch is in front.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

darita

So, I've read thru the KG USB stand setup and it is a bit confusing.  If I'm going to be using CalCapp, do I really need to setup the stands exactly as KG recommends?  There are some calculations needed to do that, like the Constant Horizontal and Vertical, etc.  Every time I read it, I'm confused by it.  Has anyone here done a similar setup?

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on July 15, 2022, 06:46:13 PM
So, I've read thru the KG USB stand setup and it is a bit confusing.  If I'm going to be using CalCapp, do I really need to setup the stands exactly as KG recommends?  There are some calculations needed to do that, like the Constant Horizontal and Vertical, etc.  Every time I read it, I'm confused by it.  Has anyone here done a similar setup?

You are correct... if you use Calcapp, you do not need the "constants".  So, (within reason) you can set it up however you like.

3D Anvil

In reality it's not that complicated.  If you're using 10" wheels, the center axis of the USB should be 12.5cm from the center axis of the grinder's axle.  That's what Wootz calls the "constant horizontal."

The top of the USB should be 220-230mm from the mounting base.  That's the "constant vertical."

In practice, it's a little tricky measuring the constant horizontal because the USB and grinder axle are on different levels.  You can make up a plumb line to hang off the USB to make it easier.  Use a piece of dental floss with a weight tied to the end or something along those lines.

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on July 15, 2022, 08:08:32 PM

In reality it's not that complicated.  If you're using 10" wheels, the center axis of the USB should be 12.5cm from the center axis of the grinder's axle.  That's what Wootz calls the "constant horizontal."

The top of the USB should be 220-230mm from the mounting base.  That's the "constant vertical."

"Constant vertical" would be from the center of the grinder axle to the top of the stand (or whatever you measure to, to set the USB height).

(Again, not needed for Calcapp). ;)

darita

In practice, it's a little tricky measuring the constant horizontal because the USB and grinder axle are on different levels.  You can make up a plumb line to hang off the USB to make it easier.  Use a piece of dental floss with a weight tied to the end or something along those lines.

Well that seems simple enough, however what if my grinder's axle height is different from the one Wootz used?

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on July 15, 2022, 08:47:27 PM
Well that seems simple enough, however what if my grinder's axle height is different from the one Wootz used?

"Constant vertical" needs to be from the top of the stand to the center of the axle.  KG does this by measuring the top of the stand to the bench, then measuring from the center of the grinder axle to the bench, then subtracting that from the first measurement, so you end up with center of grinder axle to top of stand.

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 15, 2022, 08:33:24 PM

"Constant vertical" would be from the center of the grinder axle to the top of the stand (or whatever you measure to, to set the USB height).

(Again, not needed for Calcapp). ;)

Oh right, sorry for the confusion.  I was just talking about the recommended mounting height of the bracket and mistakenly equated that with the constant vertical used in Wootz's software.