News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a different approach to sharpening small knives with the Tormek

Started by Ken S, June 20, 2022, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

My .02... Herman's Knife Jig is the better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c

More versatile, you can see what you're doing, not limited to one angle, etc.

p.s.  I'm not sure I'd link to a video where the presenter doesn't even use the right jig on a regular kitchen knife.   ::)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

I agree; Herman's platform is far superior for anyone either having or having access to someone with metal working skills. This simple wooden jig seems more suited to someone with basic woodworking skills, and limited budget and metal skills.

Ken

PS I also noticed the jig used with the kitchen knife.

GKC

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 20, 2022, 02:48:51 PM
My .02... Herman's Knife Jig is the better idea.

That was my first thought when I watched the video--very clever, but I would find a platform jig to be so much better for this. While I agree with Ken that the wooden jig in this video might be easier to make for someone without tools to work with metal, a platform jig is pretty easy to make and I think it is so much better a solution that one should be in every knife sharpener's arsenal.

At the risk of irritating those who didn't get one before they went out of production, I will note that the Hewn & Hone small knife jig was invented for small--even tiny--blades (specifically for small sloyd blades for carving) on the Tormek and works like a charm for me. It is self-centring into the bargain. It is like a mini SVM-45, or, because it is self-centring, functionally like a mini KJ-45, so it does not have the imprecision that some find problematic in the rubber strap Tormek Small Knife jig. In an ideal world Tormek would make a mini KJ-45 for small blades.